Growing Windmill Palm in Calgary and Red Deer

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by giacomog13, May 8, 2008.

1. LPN

LPN Well-Known Member 10 Years

Cold hardiest Cordyline australis I've personally witnessed is about -9c but generally -7 or -8 celcius without trouble.
    I have some seedlings started from a parent plant in the Northern part of Holland that is reported to have shaken -10c without any ill effects. This, from a grower and reputable nurseryman there. Whether or not they hold up to that reputation here, remains to be seen.

Cheers, LPN.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I've seen Cordyline survive -10°C in England, but not lower than that. To survive in Calgary, it would very definitely need winter greenhouse protection; this might not be too difficult to do with a portable cover for a small specimen.

Otherwise, perhaps an Agave or a Yucca? Some of them are far more cold-tolerant.

3. Mike Pfister

Mike Pfister New Member

I believe that Calgary is now considered to be Zone 4a, not much help but there has been a definite warming trend.

I have an experiment going with needle, sabal minor, various bamboo and bananas. They will be outdoors through the winter but I have taken some significant winterizing steps. I have a large variety of cold hardy palms that I keep out from April to November and inside under lights through the coldest months. These outdoor plants is an experiment for this year so we will see how it goes.

Per and Daniel Mosquin like this.