Mutant squash

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by lcd, Oct 10, 2017.

1. lcd

lcd Member

I planted several butternut squash from seed. They came up, grew prolifically as squash vines do, and started producing squashes. I didn't pay much attention until a week or so ago when I happened to see a dark green squash in amonst the butternuts. Thought for a second it was a zucchini under the butternut vine. ( I did not have zucchini in this garden). Attached are pics of the squash (there are 3) with some of my butternuts to give you a sense of the size of these squashes. Anyone, know what kind of squash this is? I thought maybe a seed go mixed up in the butternut seeds I bought. I went on line and I can't find a squash like this. Any thoughts??

Attached Files:

2. lcd

lcd Member

I saw a picture on a blog that looked like my squash- she said it was a zucchini/butternut squash hybrid. I read that zucchini and pumpkins readily hybridize (pumpzini, zumpkin)-- I think I have a BUTTINI. It continues to grow!!

3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

That's what I assumed. Did you buy the seed? I guess that would mean the seed producer did not keep enough separation of their varieties. If you planted seed from a market squash, then this type of hybridization is what can happen. This can actually be a lot of fun for a gardener to see what crazy types of squash can result. Many will be good to eat. You have to be careful about keeping gourds out of the mix though or you will get a lot of tough inedible fruit.

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I like the ring of butterini.

5. lcd

lcd Member

Yes, I purchased the seeds from a seed company on line. The packet must have had the rogue hybrid seed. It seems unlikey that a seed that wintered over in my garden could have grown in exactly the same place as I planted the butternut seeds from the packet. I look forward to see what I get in the end. I picked a younger one and sauteed it- it did taste just like zuchini. Keep you posted.
    Yes, butterini has a more civilized tone!!