Curry Plant/Murraya Koenigii

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by jetharch, Mar 25, 2008.

1. jetharch

jetharch Member

I love the aroma of the curry leaves and love to use them in cooking.
    I had several plants when I lived in London UK.
    However, I have not seen any here

Any pointers - as to where I could get a plant in Vancouver, Canada???
    Much appreciated,

Many Thanks ,

jeth

2. jetharch

jetharch Member

OK, I did not receive any response!!!!, but Success at last.

Curry leaves on cut steams are sold at the indian stores in Vancouver-usually in sealed clear polyethene bags and referigerated - ( which means someone must have plants here!!!).

Anyways, I cut up the stems, used compost and rooting powder in the normal way and potted 16 cuttings. Finally after 2 months, I now have 2 growing , which I am nurturing with loving care and attrention .
    With summer coming - well almost, I can't wait for the plants to grow and use the delicious leaves for cooking .

jeth

3. et2007

et2007 Active Member

You are so lucky. The Indian grocery here only sale leaves so i ordered my curry tree from Hawaii.

4. beachbirdee

beachbirdee Member

Glad you got some cuttings to grow. I was able to purchase plants from Logee's in Connecticut, not sure if they can ship to Canada but it's worth looking into.

There's another place that also ships plants, but I read that a few folks thought the plants were of lesser quality than Logee's...I have no experience with them, so you could also check Tradewinds or Bhatia Nurseries. Pacific Tropicals sells seeds I hear, I also found small curry leaf plants offered on their site.

5. et2007

et2007 Active Member

I ordered my from pacific Tropicals and happy with the order, they sent via Fed-Ex & it arrived two days later alive & well. Thanks to Ken. My curry trees are doing good & one of them already have fruits.

6. Blackbird bees

Blackbird bees New Member

My brother who is a foodie and gardener started a few hundred by seed and we now have loads of them. We have been selling them on craigslist for 20 a plant (5-6 inches tall). We are not in Vancouver but in Abbotsford. Search craigslist if interested or email at acburksATgmail.com

7. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I've bought a small shrub variety of Curry Plant at Gardenworks in Burnaby a couple of times. They seem to have them in the herbs section every year during the spring. The first plant that I had died after a few years, but they generally do well in this climate.

Edit: I just noticed that the Latin name of the desired plant is stated in the original title. The bush that I am describing is a different plant, but it is more suited to growing outdoors in this climate. The Curry Tree is more tropical and probably won't survive outside. The plant that I'm growing is Helichrysum italicum and should be readily available. If you haven't already tried it, it's easy to obtain and grow and smells strongly of curry.

8. Blackbird bees

Blackbird bees New Member

The one's we have are definately Murraya koenigii. We used to live in Nepal and had literally forests of them in the tropical part of the country (Terai region). Incredible smell and so good in curries. Definately an indoor plant here in the pacific northwest.
    I should look into the one you described.

9. Zee

Zee New Member

Hi I'm looking for a curry patta plant. (Murraya koenigii) I'm in the lower mainland area in bc. not sure if any one sells them here.
    Please let me know where I can find one.
    Thanks
    Zee.

10. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

11. et2007

et2007 Active Member

Curry plant is easy to find in US now... most greenhouse in TX... FL... CA have it... I'm not sure how Vancouver handle plant and seeds shipping the country but it can easily grow from seed and it grow fast... too fast for my small indoor condo.

12. Zee

Zee New Member

Wow!.. thanks so much... I did call Hawaiianbotanicals, unfortunately, they don't have anything at the moment. :( ...

Yes, the US I see has this offered in regular nursery's... what a treat... I wish we had the same in Canada.

I will look into getting seed. Cross border I think is always tricky.
    thanks again...
    zee

13. Junglekeeper

14. Zee

Zee New Member

Thank you so much.. I got in touch with them, and placed my order...they should send it in a bit...I'm so happy...
    Zee..

15. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Thanks for that link, Junglekeeper. I've started a Fruit and Vegetable Gardening Resources Discussion page for Fruits and Vegetable Gardening and it's the only entry so far. I mentioned their Richters SeedZoo Rare Seeds page. SeedZoo™ is a project to preserve traditional and indigenous food plants from around the world. It's interesting to read through, and the seeds are also offered for sale.

16. Junglekeeper

By the way, does this thread really belong in the current forum? This is a tropical plant.

17. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

There's often overlap and I'm always guessing. In this case, since the focus was getting the plant in Vancouver, I left it here in Outdoor Gardening in the Pac NW. If it is going to be grown in a greenhouse, then I would move it, but maybe to Indoor and Greenhouse Plants. The tropical plants forum is Outdoor Tropicals, for plants grown outside in tropical conditions.

@Zee? Outdoors or greenhouse?

18. Anton

Anton New Member

Hi
    I would like to buy a few curry leaf plants
    I’m in chilliwack.
    Can we connect?
    My ph number is 7789558249
    Anthony
    thanks!

19. Junglekeeper

20. Jasdeep

Jasdeep New Member

Hi Mr. Bala can I have some seeds too for curry leaf plant? I m in surrey I can pay that postal charges please.

And s please someone help I tried growing curry leaf plant using cutting it was so happy and healthy but now little leaves started drying up, and white little fungus on stem as well, what to do !

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2020