Japanese maples for containers

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Jill O, Sep 8, 2017.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Mikawa Yatsubusa does well in full sun grown in a container. If they don't get enough full sun the inner leaves will yellow and drop, giving it a more open appearance with clusters of leaves at the tips. I have seen two different growth habits with this variety depending on the grower. If the tree came from Buchholz and Buchholz Nursery, they are very stout, dense, shrub like growing multi stems, and as wide as tall. If the tree came from Iseli Nursery they tend to be taller and more narrow with a more open appearance.

If Kamagata is not available then maybe consider Ibo Nishiki. The leaf texture is similar to Kamagata with a very delicate appearance, the green Summer color is very Zen. Fall comes with yellow to orange highlights with green undertones, turning bright red-orange at peak. The distance between leaf pairs is very short and slow growing so it will be easy to manage. The cork or rough bark provides year round interest with a hint of Wabi-sabi. Mine is multi stem, grown in a pot for the majority of it's life, but now lives in the landscape. The picture was just taken looking out our front picture window. (not the best picture). I have also seen the more common Arakawa do well in the full sun patio environment.

If you are considering yellow, Acer palmatum 'Summer Gold' tolerates full sun, heat, while growing in a container. The tree has some Acer shirasawanum giving it bright red seeds that stand proud above the yellow leaves all summer. The tree is slow growing and vase shaped so it will stay within the bounds of a balcony.

If you are considering variegated, Acer palmatum Kagari nishiki does well in full sun on a patio or balcony. The leaves hold a deep pink color with green and white. In Fall the pink fades while the variegation remains, the white turn cream and the green turns orange.

A coral bark variety that does well is Japanese sunrise. I know of a local grower that grows many varieties of coral bark Japanese maples all in nursery containers in full sun (all are connected to a drip irrigation system). By August, after all the 90+F days, full sun (we hardly have a cloudy day here so the trees never get filtered sun or a break) the only coral bark that still looks good is Japanese sunrise. All the rest of them are scorched and mostly defoliated by August.

Attached Files:

2. Jill O

Jill O New Member

Thanks so much JT - you clearly have boundless knowledge about Japanese maples, and must have a stunning collection. I'm finding it really hard to settle on just one maple, having had quite a few more on my former half-acre property (darned divorce). I've seen 'Japanese Sunrise' here, and it's quite lovely, and the leaf form of Ibo Nishiki is very pretty. I like the idea of having interesting bark to look at through the grey winter months. That was a large part of the reason I started planting dwarf conifers - something to look at in winter.

I would imagine most plant stock on the west coast comes from Iseli - that's a nursery I'd love to visit someday, along with Terra Nova.

3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Well thank you! I am always learning as my knowledge and collection grows over the years. I happened to find this picture of Ibo nishiki from a past fall. We have hundreds of people visit our garden each year and Ibo nishiki is always "that tree" everyone asks about no matter what they are interested in or club / plant society they are representing.

We have a small space, love year round interest, and also know what its like to want more! Japanese maples, dwarf conifers, dwarf perennials, and dwarf shrubs have always worked well for us. You can get a large variety and impact in a small space. Ceramic containers add interest, color, and shape while allowing things to grow in spaces that would otherwise be impossible.

National and international garden clubs or plant societies are a great way to get into places like Iseli's display garden/ arboretum. They also offer opportunities to see private gardens that would never be seen otherwise. The Conifer society is very active with such opportunities, while offering a chance to get some really great dwarf conifers that may not be available in the nursery trade. Many conifer lovers are also Japanese maple lovers too. So a conifer society outing is a great way to see some amazing Japanese maples too.

A friend of Iseli has this blog, if you check out some of the older posts you will see several pictures of their display gardens:
    The Amazing World of Conifers

Flora wonder blog is another must see:
    Flora Wonder Blog

Attached Files:

4. Jill O

Jill O New Member

That's a stunning picture - and I'm going to guess that in addition to all your horticultural passions, you might also like mid century modern design? The chair's a dead giveaway, at least to another afficionado like me.

The conifer chap's blog is wonderful and the pictures of Iseli's display gardens are great. I've bookmarked it so I can I'd love to do another road trip down the Washington/Oregon coast someday, esp. if I could add a trip to Iseli to it. And I suspect I could happily spend an entire day cruising the Flora Wonder blog! I've bookmarked it as well, and appreciate you passing on those links.

In addition to my recent switch to dwarf conifers for my wee balcony, I've also been picking up library books on alpine plants. We do have an Alpine Society here in Victoria BC, and I imagine I would have access to far more information (and plants!), if I were to join. I may have to try and get over my discomfort around joining clubs. As the saying goes, introverts have our own club - we just don't have meetings. :)

Cheers, Jill

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I love mid century design and architecture. But my knowledge and passion fails to compare to horticulture, although I love them both. The chairs were a lucky find at a mom and pop garden center. They said, "oh you want to buy those old things, I don't even remember the price, how's 50 bucks!" We could not believe it! They looked brand new, someone at the garden center clearly kept them protect from the elements. A rare find.

I don't know if I am a true mid century aficionado. My appreciation comes from Japanese architecture (Edo period) meets Frank Lloyd Wright, meets George Katsutoshi Nakashima. I love the idea of the connection between nature and architecture, blending the line between inside and the surrounding nature outside. One of my favorite books is Nature on view:
    https://www.amazon.com/Nature-View-...qid=1508853410&sr=1-1&keywords=Nature+on+view

I like alpines too! But as our landscape matures the alpines have faded as we no longer have enough sun.

I am not much of a club person either. But what I find is that most horticulture clubs are introverted people in every day life, but become excited extroverts when they get around people that share the same passion. Now garden clubs can be a whole nother beast depending on the leadership/members they attract. Proceed with caution!

A long time member myself! :-)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  6. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Soil mix and exposure, these are the two rules.

7. Jill O

Jill O New Member

A very lucky score on the chairs to be sure. I had a similar experience when I obtained a set of Franciscan Atomic Starburst dishes last winter, for free, and thought I'd won the mid century lottery. Until I moved to my current condo with its very small balcony, I had a pair of vintage Solair chairs which had similar lines to yours.

I love the lines of Wright's houses - Fallingwater, for instance, is splendid, and I appreciate the simplicity of the Usonian homes - but I find his interiors rather dark and woody. I lean more towards Neutra and Mies van der Rohe and Philip Glass because of the walls of windows that let in so much light. If I had a Japanese-inspired garden outside a Neutra house, or anything in an Eichler development, I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven. Hence the passion for Japanese maples and conifers.

Interesting that Nakashima's use of live-edge wood has come into favour again. Ditto mid century design in general, tho' I've been buying teak furniture since the late 70's (yes, I'm that old).

I briefly belonged to a local horticultural society in my early 40's, but found it was largely peopled by gardeners in their 60's and 70's and we were not well matched. Thereafter, I cultivated friendships with passionate gardeners closer to my own age. Of course, I'm not blind to the irony of now being a gardener in her [early] 60's.

8. Jill O

Jill O New Member

Thank you Alain - I believe I've got the soil mix mastered, but am at the mercy of my sunny & windy exposure. Fortunately, I've received a number of good suggestions for maples that might do well in my situation.

9. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

I think Neutra is right up my alley. Thanks for sharing! His designs remind me of my Pinterest board Design with Nature:
    https://pin.it/pfVoXit

10. Jill O

Jill O New Member

Your Pinterest board is stunning!!!! I did try to get "Nature on View" through our local library, but they don't have it, so I may have to purchase one because it looks wonderful.