Chilopsis OR xChitalpa

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Polar, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Polar

Polar Active Member

Does anyone have or are witnessing the growth of either Chilopsis or xChatalpa tashkentensis in a droughty coastal garden of BC southwest?

What cultivar is it?

How old is it?

How is it doing? How does it look through the winter? Would you say it makes a good specimen for year round interest? Is it a multistemmed plant or has it been pruned up into a more tree-like shape?

Could you comment on its rate of growth, ie: "feet per year during first x yrs, then slows to x inches/feet until it reaches its mature height"

Could you comment on maintenace involved.

Could you describe the area it is growing in, ie: exposure, soil, slope, etc.

I've read the Van Trees app and am seeking supplemental information as noted above.

Many thanks!!

2. Polar

Polar Active Member

I'm so glad I came across your 2011 post: Late blooming Catalpa, and what's with these skinny leaves?!

How is the one in your neighbourhood looking now, six years after your original post, and following two very droughty summers? Would you know if they are being watered through the summer?

Apparently they are fast growing. Have you noticed vigourous growth in these last six years… Or do they seem mature, and just putting on more girth? How tall would you guess they are at this point?

Also have you noticed if they have fall color? They do down south but maybe not here?

You mentioned that at the time you did not notice seed pods. Have you noticed if this has changed with maturity? How would you describe its winter look?

I look forward to reading any of your observations on this tree when you have time. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2017
  3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

A good size specimen was transplanted to a bed at the front entrance of the Garden in 2013 (right in front of the Shop). It is doing very well despite being transplanted at a large size and the nasty winters we have had. It had lots of flowers this summer and bloomed for a long period.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

There are photos of that one (and another) from last year (2016) in the last posting in a thread in the Talk about UBC Botanical Garden forum:
    June 28, 2016 - July in the Garden
    In another thread in that forum, there is a photo from 2013 and a link to a blog article from the year before when it was transplanted:
    July 16, 2013 - three flowers (well, more than three)

Polar likes this.
  5. Polar

Polar Active Member

Impressive, the size it was at transplant! Thanks for posting the link.

6. wcutler

@Polar, you asked this question in the UBCBG 2016 thread. It's too early to tell, at least on this tree in my 'hood (Nelson and Bidwell in Vancouver West End). There are a few leaves on the ground that are green. This photo is from two days ago, October 4.
    xChitalpa-tashkentensis_NelsonBidwell_Cutler_20171004_145458.jpg

I moved your other postings from my posting for ID (that does not have xChitalpa in the subject line) to this one of yours that does. I added a link to my posting that you uncovered. And I guess I should add tags for Chitalpa and xChitalpa, will do that right now.

7. Polar

Polar Active Member

Thanks Wendy!
    When I compare your picture of 2011 and this one, 2017, it seems the tree has almost remained the same height! Do you observe the same thing?

Keep me posted once the tree develops it’s fall colour (or lack of...).

I tried to download the Dirr app from the resources listed in the forum. The message read “the developer needs to upgrade to IOS 11... so sad for me as I have a difficult selection to make and need all the help I can find...! (I do have my original hard copy from before 1993...)

8. wcutler

I'm not good at that kind of details, but it seems you're right. It's just filled in a lot, is quite a pretty tree now. No colour development on these yet; I just checked UBCBG's yesterday.

Polar likes this.
  9. wcutler

Eric was reporting on the UBCBG tree from last year. This year, I first noticed the flowers on July 18 and it still looks good as of August 22.
    xChitalpa-tashkentensis_UBCBG_Cutler_20180823_134925.jpg xChitalpa-tashkentensis_UBCBG_Cutler_20180823_160001.jpg

Polar likes this.
  10. wcutler

The Vancouver Trees App | UBC Botanical Garden says "not colouring in Autumn". Here are photos from yesterday at UBCBG. The one in my neighbourhood is also similarly green, with some leaves dropping green or browning at the edges but generally looking like it did in the summer before the flowers appeared. Since it will be bare in the winter, and leafs up late (in June in Vancouver), I would not give this points for year-round interest.
    xChitalpa-tashkentensis_UBCBG_Cutler_20181024_P1370128.JPG xChitalpa-tashkentensis_UBCBG_Cutler_20181024_P1370265.JPG

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Polar likes this.
  11. wcutler

Definitely no colouring on the tree outside the Shop in the Garden on October 30, 2019. Leaves are drying up.
    xChitalpa-tashkentensisPinkDawn_UBCBG_Cutler_20191030_142523.jpg xChitalpa-tashkentensisPinkDawn_UBCBG_Cutler_20191030_142539.jpg

12. Polar

Polar Active Member

13. wcutler

I already said definitely no autumn colouring last year, but I think my photos this year are conclusive in that regard. It's the tree in front of the ginkgo, to the right of the Shop in the Garden. Last photo is the fallen leaves.
    Xchitalpa-tashkentensisPinkDawn_UBCBG_Cutler_20201106_131517.jpg Xchitalpa-tashkentensisPinkDawn_UBCBG_Cutler_20201106_131528.jpg Xchitalpa-tashkentensisPinkDawn_UBCBG_Cutler_20201106_131536.jpg

14. Polar

Polar Active Member

Thank you Wendy, your observations have been very helpful!

15. wcutler

@Polar, are you still around? I never answered your question about fruits, but in the thread you linked to, I did mention finding some something noting that Chitalpa are sterile. I'm pretty sure you don't still need this info, but I was thinking of you today because I took another fall photo (because seeing it made me think of you). Most leaves have dropped, but the remaining ones are all entirely green. There are few enough that you can get an idea of the winter appearance.
    XChitalpa-tashkentensisPinkDawn_UBCBG_Cutler_20211105_145012.jpg XChitalpa-tashkentensisPinkDawn_UBCBG_Cutler_20211105_145028.jpg

16. Polar

Polar Active Member

Wendy, you’re so thoughtful. Thanks for the new pics! I’ve decided to give that tree a miss though it fills the bill in so many ways (drought tolerant, summer flowers, winter structure, small), it is disappointing in fall… I’m still looking for a suitable small tree! Wish I could find a west coast cercis locally…

I might try a chitalpa in a container…oh, did I say that out loud?!?

cheers!
    Polar