Bring in plants for the winter

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Janice Gullett, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Janice Gullett

Janice Gullett New Member

I produced some lovely containers of flowers with Plectranthus and Colocasia (black coral) this summer and I live in Courtenay, Vancouver Island. What would be the best way to care for these plants over the winter so I can reuse them next year. Thank you

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The general advice for for colocasia is to dig the corms, clean and dry them and store in cool dry place. Gardeners in the region have had luck overwintering them in the pots in a protected spot where it will not freeze and can be kept dry.

I would take cutting of the Plectranthus and grow them like house plants. Performance depends on variety. Some just want to grow as annuals and seem to be better from seed.

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Vancouver readers - I have some of the classic patio geranium (not perennials ) of both the upright and ivy types. - they are not big plants - they were bought a few months ago as 4" size

I have several in each large decorative display pot - do I take them out of the display pot (decorative plastic) or let them stay in the display pot til next spring -

I plan to overwinter in the dark (storage shed) at approx constant 58F temp

Do I water at all during storage ?

This is an experiment on my behalf ---

I would also like to know how much AND what to feed In spring - and if I should change the soil - say - for example - to the BC Sea Soil brand potting mix -

Thank you

4. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I don't know about geraniums but I've got a couple of your cheap "garden variety annual fuchsia" that were planted in a raised bed in a corner of an unheated greenhouse and they keep coming back every spring (this will be the 4th winter - I hope - and I'm going to try adding a few more plants from some summer baskets).
    Nothing in this greenhouse gets watered during the winter months, because it is used for storing garden decorations, but once I start clearing things out in early spring I add a little water and up they come

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Pelargoniums can be overwintered this way in the pots. They will need a bit of water, they cannot be allowed to dry completely. A cooler temperature above freezing might be better. You can also grow them like house plants if you have space and lots of light.

6. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    Sometimes I think I should use my spouse's unlicensed summer fun car as MY winter greenhouse!

Seriously tho - thank you for advice

QUESTION - how do you wake these cheap fuchsias and pelargoniums up - in terms of fertilizer ?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  7. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I hate to admit it but I never fertilize any of my plants, and being in a raised bed I'm sure they must pull some moisture from the ground but they are also high enough not to be affected by our wet winters