Jasmine cuttings

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Junglekeeper, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Of the seven Jasminum sambac 'Grand Duke of Tuscany' cuttings that were started, three developed roots at the first node above the soil. I used a rooting hormone but never expected rooting would take place above ground. Also, I have not ever seen any aerial roots on this plant. At this point should I take advantage by removing the portion below the roots and repotting the cutting? Any thoughts?

20170924_200905.jpg

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

How long ago were the cuttings started? If it already has roots below the surface, I would leave it alone and let it carry on with whatever plans it had for those aerial roots.

3. Junglekeeper

They're only about 7-10 days old so it's impossible to know whether they've started to root without pulling them out and disturbing them. If there are roots developing they would likely be the same size as the ones above ground.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  4. wcutler

Really, I don't know - these are just thoughts. If the plant is doing fine, as it seems to be after a week, I'd be inclined to leave it. Aerial roots presumably are supposed to be aerial roots. On the other hand, if you have three of these plants, you could make one a test and repot it and let us know the results. I did see one page that said if you already have aerial roots, cut below them and plant them in the soil.

5. Junglekeeper

They don't look like aerial roots though; they have fuzzy hairs covering them which suggests they're normal roots. Because of that I'm thinking of snipping all three since there's a high likelihood that they'll continue to grow. In any case I still have four other cuttings if they fail.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I would guess the rooting hormone moved up the stem. Snip two of them, replant.

7. Junglekeeper

So then what I observed is not so unusual? What conditions would cause this to happen?

As it turns out I ended up snipping two of them as they had not begun to root below ground. The third I replanted as there were more roots under than above ground.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  8. wcutler

Remember to let us know the outcome.

9. Junglekeeper

10. Junglekeeper

Here's what happened. All seven cuttings rooted, which is a surprise since I had very limited success with this plant when I tried some years ago. Of the two which I sniped, one sent a root to the bottom of the plastic insert a few days later so I assume the other responded similarly even though the result was unseen. Now I need to decide what to do with this embarrassment of riches.