Identification: What kind of Clematis?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by bpither, Jul 23, 2017.

1. bpither

bpither Active Member 10 Years

Anyone know the name of this Clematis ... photo taken today July 23rd in my back garden. I should add that the leaves viewed right belong to a red runner bean that's growing beside and intertwining with the Clematis

Attached Files:

2. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    It's hard to see detail on photo (low res) --- have you looked on Clearview clematis website? That company is a well-known longtime wholesale supplier fr out in the Fraser Valley --- excellent website w lots of photos and pruning how-to

Www.clearviewhort.com

3. Georgia Strait

Georgia Strait Generous Contributor

South Okanagan & Greater Vancouver, BC Canada
    I meant to ask in prev post - what is the diameter of the blossom in inches?

How tall is your vine ?

Is it blooming again in September?

For what it's worth - I never prune any of mine - that said - I might have fewer blossoms than those gardeners looking for massive displays

The key is "roots in shade, flowers In sun". And a soil that is like forest soil - rich but well drained - and in spots where you leave it undisturbed

Once established - I rarely water mine during summer (coastal BC near VCVR)

And i tend to grow mine up thru other plants like vine Maple (acer circinatum)

I would not let a Montana grow thru my vine maples tho --- way too much clematis

I have various alpina (bluebird?) and for sure a Ville de Lyon up thru vine maples and one old dull lilac.

4. bpither

bpither Active Member 10 Years

Previously I posted a picture of this unknown clematis variety at bloom to determine whether I should prune at the end of July post bloom, or in the early spring when green shoots appear on old wood. After no response I was fed up with the mangy appearance and pruned hard to within 4-5 inches in early August before leaving the abode for two months. To my amazement upon returning last night it was in full flight with buds (not expecting a bloom in October). My question is what should I do now! The green foliage looks vigorous ... should I cut it again or wait until spring?

Attached Files: