Potted lemon tree

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by E. Nancy, Sep 10, 2017.

1. E. Nancy

E. Nancy New Member

I am not a gardener but having said this I have taken an interest in gardening. I bought a potted outdoor lemon tree this summer and so far it seems to be doing well. I live in Delta BC and I am unable to bring it inside over the winter. I am wondering how best to protect it and how to treat it during the winter months? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Nancy

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Which variety of lemon is it? Do you plan on keeping it in the container or on planting it in ground?

3. E. Nancy

E. Nancy New Member

I think it s just a regular lemon tree. I plan to keep it in a pot but when I spoke to the gardener he said not to transplant it until next spring. Would it be helpful if I sent you a picture? Thanks.

4. Junglekeeper

Please post a picture if you have one; it may tell us the tree's variety and give us information on its hardiness.

Is there a place outside where the tree can be overwintered? The temperature there should be less than 13C and sheltered from light. A garage or tool shed perhaps?

5. E. Nancy

E. Nancy New Member

Attached Files:

6. Junglekeeper

Nice looking tree. I was hoping it would be the Meyer variety as that would be the one that can be planted outside (albeit with protection) but it does not appear so. I'm guessing it is a ponderosa lemon from the size and shape of the leaves and fruit. Have a look at the grower's site and see if it's a match: Lemons & Limes - MyCitrusTree. Of those listed, Sambo is the one I have not seen before. I don't suppose the variety is printed on the blue tag.

The tree will have to remain containerized if this is anything other than a meyer (again, not familiar with Sambo). So it goes back to my original question for overwintering. Do you have such a place?

Reference:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  7. E. Nancy

E. Nancy New Member

Thank-you, I'll look into it and I'll recheck the info on the tag. When I bought the tree I was told that it was a tree to be repotted but not until spring. I bought it from a nursery in Ladner.

8. Junglekeeper