Identification: I need some help Identifying this plant.

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by KaiserWilliam, Sep 8, 2017.

1. KaiserWilliam

KaiserWilliam New Member

Earlier today I became aware that plants were being sold by a sect of the biology department at my college. They had more than they wanted and started selling them. I go this one for free. I asked them what it was, and the professor that game it to me gave me a very scientific name I can not remember. He simplified it to saying "its like an Agave, give it a lot of sun light and water it rarely." That is basically what I wanted to know. However I'm curious to learn more about this plant since I'll be taking care of it for the foreseeable future. Does anyone recognize it?

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hey Kaiser, looks like you intended an image, but it did not load. Here are the instructions to attach an image:
    Attach photos and files

There are several plants similar to agave that are grown as house plants-- Echeveria, Haworthia, Aeonium and others.

KaiserWilliam likes this.
  3. KaiserWilliam

KaiserWilliam New Member

upload_2017-9-8_15-3-18.png upload_2017-9-8_15-3-42.png upload_2017-9-8_15-4-6.png

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2017
  4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I don't know what that is, but it looks like it would need the same care as an agave. In the second image there is a little tiny volunteer (or invader, depending on how you view it) -- a Kalanchoe daigremontiana (Bryophyllum daigremontianum). It makes little baby plants along the leaf edge that drop off to become new plants, thus the common name, mother of millions.