Help! my mammillaria bocasana is shrinking

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Gravy_Guy, Sep 8, 2017.

1. Gravy_Guy

Gravy_Guy New Member

My mammillaria bocasana is shrinking its radius has decreased and also its roots and the tubercles in the base looks rotting and being diminished help I dont know what to do.. Is this because of the incoming winter?

Attached Files:

2. Gravy_Guy

Gravy_Guy New Member

Is it overwatering? or it needs more water? its tubercles look dry (look likes it doesn't have water inside) but if its lacking water why does its roots are withdrawing?

3. mandarin

mandarin Active Member 10 Years

The lowermost tubercles often do that when they reach the base, so they are probably ok. The plants looks a bit dry. The root ball is small, as on your previous plant. I wonder if it gets enough water? What is the approximate day and night temperatures? My Mammillaria have not started to shrink yet (it's 10--20 °C here now) and I don't expect them to do so for months.

4. Gravy_Guy

Gravy_Guy New Member

The temperature here is maybe around 32-36°C in the morning and its around 27-30°C at night.. So you mean it's not rot? So I should water it more huh.. But how can I promote spreading of roots to it? Doesn't really look healthy because of its roots and it is not holding onto the ground firmly.. And some of its roots looks like it has been curled.. What should I do?

5. mandarin

That is a very high night temperature for a desert cactus. I have read that they they don't open their stomata as much if the night temperature is high (they are only open during night).

I cannot see any obvious signs of rot.

The roots will "feel" the water and grow in that direction, if the soil stays moist for long enough (days).

Is it in a clay pot?

6. Gravy_Guy

Gravy_Guy New Member

No its not in a clay pot, it is in a plastic pot.. Could this be because of the intense sunlight? Should I get it more shade? Because it gets sunlight almost the whole day.. Do mammillarias love loads of water?

7. mandarin

Those temperatures + intense light ... I guess the pot dries out very fast. Whether they like lots of water or not depends on the climate. What's important is that the soil remains moist for a few days after a watering to allow the roots do their job. I think it would be best to water it in the evening, otherwise much of the water is likely to be lost too quickly during the day.

8. Gravy_Guy

Gravy_Guy New Member

Oh i see, i think you're right.. Will it be okay if they don't get full hours of sun? Should I water them oftenly?

9. mandarin

I think it is a good idea to give it some shade until it has grown more roots. It will probably also need more frequent watering.