Aloe Plant

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Sara L Robertshaw, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Sara L Robertshaw

Sara L Robertshaw New Member

Hello,

Any tips on how to help this plant? I rescued it from being thrown away but don't know where to start. I believe it should be more upright?

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Is it in a room with sunlight?

3. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

That could be Aloe vera, but it's hard to tell. The treatment is the same for most any aloe but some are a little more sensitive to overwatering. Anyhow, that isn't too bad for a temperate climate indoors. It is a succulent that likes to be on the dry side, and appreciates a bit of sun. If you have a window with good light, that may help. Open air balcony or outdoors would be better.

I wouldn't worry about feeding it for a while. Maybe not until late winter, and it won't need much water. The leaves will get longer and thinner as in yours when they have had a little too much water and too little sun. The white spots are often there, but not always. Flowers will be yellow on A. vera, but I'd guess that's unlikely for you.

Decent well drained soil, pot with holes on the bottom, don't let it sit in water.