Pittosporum tobira?

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by duffy, Aug 31, 2017.

1. duffy

duffy Active Member

A big thanks to all who stop by to have a look. I think this tree is Pittosporum tobira, am I right or wrong? Thanks again for stopping by.

Attached Files:

2. Lila Pereszke

Lila Pereszke Well-Known Member 10 Years

Olea europaea

3. duffy

duffy Active Member

Hi again, This time I can disagree! I own an olive grove and I am very familiar with this sp. Imagine when I used to personally collect the olives on 40 olive trees. Thanks and I always look for your replies. The leaves in the 1st photograph are almost similar to the Olea. Ciao.

4. Lila Pereszke

Hm... well, if your olive trees aren't similar to this one, then I won't taste your pizza... :-)

5. duffy

duffy Active Member

It would be very difficult to eat my pizza as I do not like pizzas, neither pasta!

6. Lila Pereszke

I'm sorry to hear that... but let's go back to botany: it can't be a Pittosporum, because it has 4 petalas, while Pittosporum has 5 petals (and the flowers are much smaller, than Pittosporum flowers.)

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Am I seeing separate male and female flowers on the same raceme?

8. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd say yes. I've never been nosy enough to intrude into the sex lives of olives or their relatives before, so not sure what that means, though.

9. Lila Pereszke

As fare as I know, Olea used to have hermaphrodic flowers (and some extra male flowers on each raceme).
    So I think the female looking flower was also hermaphrodic, but the petals and the stamens are already fallen.

10. duffy

duffy Active Member

The 2 photographs I submitted as Pittosporum tobira, were given to me by a friend. He identified them as P.tobira, I didn't bother to check as I thought he knew better than I. Now I will upload photographs from my own file which I identified as P. tobira. When I compared the file I was given with my own file there is no comparison. I thought he was right and I was wrong.

Attached Files:

thanrose likes this.
  11. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Lovely plant, thanks for adding it the thread for comparison.

This thread highlights a number of challenges we face. As people interested in botany, but even more so with people interested in useful plants foraging. It's very easy to operate on assumptions and we believe what we are already inclined toward. When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

I can often see similarities between plants, but it can be dangerous to loosely categorize something as a mint when it might be a nightshade.

This was a good exercise in identifying a species.

12. duffy

duffy Active Member

Hi thanrose, If the forum will permit me to upload 1 photo of Mentha longifolius as a comparison with a few photographs of a similar sp. of Mentha, which I rightly or wrongly, identified it as Mentha longifolius. This will be a great help to members and myself. Thanks again.