Rhododendron macrosepalum 'Linearifolium'

Discussion in 'Ericaceae (rhododendrons, arbutus, etc.)' started by pmurphy, Aug 28, 2017.

1. pmurphy

pmurphy Contributor 10 Years

I recently acquired a spider azalea and was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this plant?

I've read several website that say it likes sun or sun and shade, but I was also told that more shade than sun would be better. It's a very interesting looking little plant and I want to make sure that I planted it in the right place - in an area between two other shrubs where it will get morning sun until late morning and then shaded until late afternoon when it will get a little more before the sun gets too low more

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I know nothing about growing this, but UBCBG has it growing in deep shade in the Asian Garden and in bright sun in the Alpine Garden. I went to have a look and posted a few photos at
    Rhododendron stenopetalum 'Linearifolium'

The name UBCBG is using is R. stenopetalum 'Linearifolium'.

3. pmurphy

Thanks!
    Judging by the photos I think it will do okay where it is.

4. Bill

Bill Active Member 10 Years

I've grown macrosepalum (now stenopetalum) in both shade and pretty much full sun and it seems to do quite well in both. If anything it has been growing better in the sun for me Certainly an unusual plant and one that draws comments from non-rhodo types.

5. pmurphy

Thanks.

I've had the plant for almost 2 years now and it seems to like the corner it's in - shade until late morning and then sun until mid afternoon. And it certainly does draw attention.

These photos were taken a couple of weeks ago.
    IMG_0959.JPG IMG_0960.JPG

wcutler likes this.