Dying Peace Lily - Complete Noob

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Nassie54, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Nassie54

Nassie54 New Member

Hello,

I am completely new to indoor gardening. I live in Cairo, Egypt and plant stores aren't really frolicking in the streets. I don't even know where to buy soil from.
    This was a peace lily I got from Ikea (they don't have soil there). It looked perfectly fine when I first got it, and then the tip of the leaves started to brown up. I thought i might be over watering and decided to water less. recently, for no particular reasons, most of the leaves wilted and went brown at the root.

Here is the current state of the plant. It looks miserable (It had a flower on it that I cut off thinking the plant might try to put nutrients in it).
    It doesn't get direct sunlight, and the room is regularly warm.

Please help, I really don't want my plant to die.

Also if you had any advice on how to take care of them properly for the other three plants. I only know that one of them is Basil, but I have no idea what the other plants are

Attached Files:

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The one on the top left is Dracaena marginata, and the one on the second shelf left looks like Dieffenbachia, common name Dumb Cane. There is a lot of internet info on growing those. If the one next to the Dracaena is the one you're saying is basil and it smells/tastes like basil, then I guess it is. It will want a lot more light than the other two. Are the things on the bottom shelf live plants? That is probably not enough light for any plant.

I'm sorry, I don't have much advice on the peace lily. It does look like it was overwatered. Is there a hole at the bottom of that pot? If there is not a hole in the bottom of the pot, you should move it to a pot that has a hole in the bottom. You can try getting the soil almost dry and feeling how heavy the pot is at that point. Then water it and make sure there is no water sitting in the tray. Feel how heavy the pot is then. Make sure you water it when it's light and not when it's heavy.

Nassie54 likes this.
  3. Nassie54

Nassie54 New Member

Yes there is a hole at the bottom of the pot. I usually let some water sit at the bottom so the humidity would go around the plant. Idk if that's a good thing. I'm letting it dry for now. and will see how it goes. thank you for you help <3

4. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Two of the plants are rainforest plants. They need more water than the basil or the Dracaena. The Spathyphyllum peace lily especially does not like to dry out. But if the base of the pot was filled with water or sitting in water, that wasn't good either. Spaths get injured easily from periods of drought.

Your description of "most of the leaves wilted and went brown at the root" does sound as if it was seriously overwatered and the crown started rotting and there was probably root loss, so now the leaves can't get any water and subsequently wilt. And die. Otherwise, if underwatered, the leaves droop with youngest leaves going first. No browning of the stems at the root, at least not yet. But you will lose some of the leaves, and some parts of other leaves.

A little brown tip at the end of the leaves for both the Spathyphyllum and the Dieffenbachia is hard to avoid in a dry climate. You cannot supply them with enough moisture in the air to prevent that unless you put them in a greenhouse. No misting, no sitting on wet rocks, no weekly showers. That's all too little and too late.

In my experience, Dieffenbachia is even more susceptible to root rot. Soil needs to be damp, but well drained. It also likes brighter light than the Spath.

You could probably buy potting mixes for houseplants online. The bags of the dry stuff are actually fairly light, so shipping may not be too costly.

Nassie54 likes this.
  5. Nassie54

Nassie54 New Member

What would you suggest I do now? I'll try to look for potting mix but once again, that's going to be another issue. Right now at home, what should I do ?

6. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Nothing. Really.

Give them adequate sun, rather more for the basil as Wendy said, somewhat more for the Dracaena and Diffenbachia, and indirect light is fine for the Spath. Watch the watering so you don't let them wilt, but again, they all have different needs.

You don't need a new pot or new soil, but when you do you should probably try online. If you have professionally landscaped properties near you, even if it's stuff like palm trees in large pots, someone in your area is getting the medium imported.

Nassie54 likes this.
  7. Nassie54

Nassie54 New Member

Thank you so much for your help. Right now I'm letting the soil dry out and I'll water when I feel it has dried enough.

Should I check out the roots to see if there is any rotting to remove it ?

How often should I water the plants.

They all get indirect sunlight daily but I'm considering getting plant lamps.

If you have any guidelines you can refer me to or any suggestion please do tell, I really don't want them to die :(

8. PalominoBlackwing

PalominoBlackwing New Member

The plant on the bottom left is a Pothos, it's very easy to take care of. They need indirect sunlight and moist soil. I also think they can be propagated and rooted in water. I also have one and it's doing great. I live in a dry climate as well.

Attached Files:

9. Nassie54

Nassie54 New Member

How do you care for that plant ? How often do you water your plant ?