Acer palmatum 'Olsen's Frosted Strawberry'

Discussion in 'Acer palmatum cultivars (photos)' started by mendocinomaples, May 10, 2006.

1. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

I planted a small OFS this spring in a spot where I thought it would do well. Morning sun and shaded by a Silver Maple for most of the afternoon. It looked beautiful in the spring, but now it looks pretty ragged and colorless. I'm thinking of moving it or maybe putting it in a pot.

Attached Files:

2. Suze415

Suze415 Active Member

Does anyone keep their OFS in afternoon sun? Wondering how it does with that.

3. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

My Acer palmatum ' Olsen's frosted strawberry ', is one of the best reticulated varieties IMO. The bright new pink red leaves of Spring that give this one it's name and then the highly veined green leaves of Summer make this quite a desirable maple; even after the rain, as seen in my second photo.

Attached Files:

4. Acerholic

July 13th 2020, my 'Olson's frosted Strawberry', is starting to have second flush leaves. They are extremely bright crimson red, although the reticulation is not evident at this time of year.

Attached Files:

5. Acerholic

The new Summer growth is now getting its reticulation. Photo 15th July 2020. Equal to any of the ghosts IMO.

Attached Files:

6. Acerholic

1st August 2020, now you would think this is the same photo I took from two weeks ago. You would be wrong. This was taken after a couple of weeks of extreme Summer heat and record temperatures.
    I tried to get the same leaves and same angle on purpose to show exactly how this maple has coped.
    IMO rather well.

Attached Files:

7. Acerholic

Day three of extreme heat 36° C, the regular updates as promised. Today expected to be hotter. Photo 8th August 2020.

Attached Files:

8. Acerholic

11th August 2020 and the heatwave continues, trying to update as many as I can as requested, even if they are not looking too good. Important to do this I feel.
    The heat has got to the new growth as I sadly expected it to. Still, it's important to show how this cultivar copes in our ever changing environment.

Attached Files:

9. Acerholic

17th August 2020, now three days of heavy rain and my trees are picking up at last.
    My Olsons frosted Strawberry looks even better now, so many colours to choose from.

Attached Files:

10. Acerholic

All the colours are appearing now on all my maples and as promised I will keep the photo diary going to show the transformation. So much rain now and new growth, the new shoots are loving this weather at last.
    Photo today 23rd August 2020. It was a toss up for favourite in my garden between Reticulatum Purple, this and Amagi Shigure. Very close indeed.

Attached Files:

11. Acerholic

26th August 2020, the day after a very strong storm. (Francis). An update as requested. So many amazing colours now. Now my Olsons frosted Strawberry is showing the strong reticulation it is well known for. The new growth has turned.

Attached Files:

12. Acerholic

30th August 2020 and it is definitely getting colder. My maples are very happy now that the Summer heat has passed. They are all enjoying the early morning sun.
    It loves the early sun, so added this one today. The petioles just pop in this light.

Attached Files:

13. Acerholic

5th September 2020 and the diary continues, each day has a new colour on the leaves now. And tbh some rather strange colours this year.
    The reds are coming thick and fast on my Olsons frosted strawberry.

Attached Files:

14. Acerholic

A lot of PM's last night asking about many of my cultivars, so here this morning, 11th September 2020 is my Olsons frosted strawberry. The reds are getting more enhanced every day.

Attached Files:

15. Acerholic

14th September 2020 and although it is going to be hot later, a lovely early morning dew was on my maples.
    Looks like a sugar coated Olsons frosted strawberry today.

Attached Files:

16. Acerholic

11th October 2020 and I had that wow moment this morning when seeing my Olsons frosted strawberry. Hope you agree.

Attached Files:

D97x7 likes this.
  17. Acerholic

14th October 2020 and yes only a few days since my last posting, but the sun broke through and I had to take a photo and share.

Attached Files:

18. LoverOfMaples

LoverOfMaples Generous Contributor Maple Society

'Olsen Frosted Strawberry' coming alone nicely

Attached Files:

Xi-feng and Acerholic like this.
  19. Acerholic

Mines not far behind D, I will post it in a few days. Lovely Spring colour you have with yours.

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  20. Acerholic

LoverOfMaples likes this.
  21. Xi-feng

Xi-feng Rising Contributor

My little guy at the beginning of May, flanked by Grandma Ghost and Peaches & Cream.

Attached Files:

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.
  22. Acerholic

Good combination Xi. The one thing with having them in pots is that you can arrange them whenever it suits the colouring at different times of the year.

23. Xi-feng

That's definitely a good point (though from a naming perspective alone I quite like having peaches and strawberry together quite aside from the aesthetics... we do find our fun in odd places, right?)

24. Acerholic

Very much so. It is important to have some fun with our trees.

Xi-feng likes this.
  25. Xi-feng

Colours not quite as vivid now as they were at the beginning of May, but still looking quite happy:
    20210522 O.F. Strawberry.jpg

D97x7 and Acerholic like this.