White waxy residue on the leaves of my plant

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Garthd439, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Garthd439

Garthd439 New Member

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem. There are only white, almost wax like spots on this plant. Nothing to suggest insects, possibly a mold of fungus?

Attached Files:

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The plant appears to be a Hoya. Some species are known to have speckled leaves.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I thought it was Hoya carnosa too, but it confused me that it was outside in Ontario. Is this a houseplant that you brought outside for the summer or just to photograph? My hoya's leaves look like that. The spots don't disappear when you rub the leaves, do they?

4. Garthd439

Garthd439 New Member

I brought the plant outside to photograph and to try and clean with soap. It's an old plant my mother had that grows long vines and is very drought resistant with leathery leaves. This 'waxy" substance just started appearing on the leaves and I can remove it with my fingernails or thumb by rubbing gently. Otherwise it is healthy although I'm living downstairs ad it is getting far less light. My mother used to have it growing around her kitchen window.

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Oh, I see - I tried that on mine and it removed a spot. I had no idea. I'm pretty sure it's normal, for instance, see Wax Plant - Hoya carnosa - Picture, Care Tips.