First ones to leaf out

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Mar 13, 2017.

1. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here are some more Spring pictures. The majority are taken in Manual mode or "no filter". Variable sun and clouds, wind, chasing a moving target with adjusting for the changing conditions and camera settings. Would have been a good day for Auto mode on the camera. Some photos ended up over exposed as a result. Oh well..hope you enjoy the show.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    AlainK and 0soyoung like this.
  2. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

More Spring pictures...Continued...(1)...

Attached Files:

3. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

More Spring pictures...Continued...(2)...

Attached Files:

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

More Spring pictures...Continued...(3)...

Attached Files:

5. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

More Spring pictures...Continued...(4)...

Attached Files:

6. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

More Spring pictures...Continued...(5)...

Attached Files:

7. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

More Spring pictures...Continued...(6)...

Attached Files:

kgeezy20, AlainK and 0soyoung like this.
  8. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

The problem is similar here although not as bad (-1.5° C at worst). We had over 20°C for several days at the beginning of the month, even 25 on April 9th, so most trees were in full leaf but those who were just opening got damaged.

Since I live in town, with houses, hedges or walls around the garden, there is less wind so my trees are more protected.

acer-div_170426a.jpg

9. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Great photos, thanks for posting.

JT1 likes this.
  10. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Thank you kgeezy20, AlainK and 0soyoung for liking my photos! I appreciate your feedback.

Here are some pictures of the back yard from the opposite perspective (view from the back window, that was seen in our pictures taken from the patio, posted the other day). Please excuse the window screen pattern that is visible in some of the pictures, it impacted the sharpness in some areas of the photos.

Attached Files:

11. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Morning photos. The first few were taken in manual mode, but then switched to auto mode, due to time and battery constraints. Since the day is overcast and rain, the auto mode did a better job of capturing the true colors.
    I hope you enjoy our front yard photos...(1)...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    0soyoung likes this.
  12. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Our front yard photos...continued...(2)...

Attached Files:

kgeezy20 and 0soyoung like this.
  13. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Our front yard photos...continued...(3)...

Attached Files:

kgeezy20 and 0soyoung like this.
  14. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

This is my first spring with Japanese Maples. I got started in September and have 13 so far. My Seiryu was the first to leaf out and the last was my Autumn Moon, although I had 3 sent from Davidsans (Ariadne, Summer Gold and Mikawa Yatsubusa) which arrived already leafed out. I am really enjoying watching them all blossom with the warm weather. Every day is something new!

Attached Files:

emery and 0soyoung like this.
  15. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Whoops, the pic labeled Mik Yat above is actually a Tsuma Gaki.

Attached Files:

0soyoung likes this.
  16. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

When I saw that picture last night, I thought that looks a lot like Tsuma Gaki. I better send a private message in the morning to ask if it was a simple upload mistake or if the nursery sent you the wrong tree. Glad to hear you have both trees and their was no mistake at the nursery. Great pictures and thanks for sharing! You have a nice collection of trees. I hope they bring you much joy and beauty this growing season.

17. 0soyoung

0soyoung Rising Contributor

Three acer palmatums that I didn't see in this thread: higasayama, shindeshojo, and ukigumo

Higasayama.jpg shin_deshojo.jpg Ukigomo.jpg

18. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

John it's always a pleasure to see your garden, especially in Spring! I confess I'm more attracted to the natural light pictures in manual mode, but of course a filter is implicit in all digital photos, since there is processing either way! The #nofilter tag has limited meaning with our current means.

@osoyoung, thanks for these cultivars, very pretty indeed!

Here it is difficult to enjoy the garden after the huge damage of late April, at least from close up. I have bad eyes so I can still appreciate things from far off! But some maples resisted the extreme cold, among them Shirasawa's maple. I have 3 ungrafted species here, none were burned, as is known this is a hardier maple than palmatum or japonicum although it is quite difficult in the garden. Most grow the well known cultivars and not the species, but in and of itself it is a beautiful maple and quite variable. The first has had verticillium and died back from a large size, but now regrown for several years. It is a lovely fresh green and quite early; it didn't burn at all in the freeze although an Esk Sunset sycamore next to it was badly damaged, and the shirasawanum was fully leafed out. The second one is quite dark and a bit orangy coming out. The 3rd is a lovely lime green, very bright although it doesn't show too much in the overcast day. It is really a lovely maple.

Attached Files:

ROEBUK and 0soyoung like this.
  19. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Emery sorry you had a cold snap and lost some leafs off you trees, we did have a couple of nights when the temp went really down and had a couple of trees which suffered slightly but every thing else came through ok.

Just noticed the dates you posted for the Maple conference in October ,would have come to this but it's my big ' 60 ' on the 25th so can't make it , would have driven down gone through the tunnel etc that would have been so much fun, never mind no doubt there will be plenty of pics and related topics re the event posted later this year.

Just added a selection colourful pics of today in the wet and windy UK , all the trees are just about out now so you get to see the true colours coming through, all the reticulates are showing very well this year with super colours.

Houzi shame you lost your Amagi's through the winter months , all mine were planted out last year and came through ok, but remember the thread about potted and planted amagi's i started , do tend to think that they prefer the ground to the pots?
    Try planting one out and see what happens.

Attached Files:

dangerine49 likes this.
  20. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Great pictures Roebuk. Thanks for sharing! Love the fresh colors.

21. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Mark your pictures as always are great! Thanks. Sorry to hear you won't be able to come to the symposium, but if you're up for it, would be great to see you for the tour, which starts -- at my place! feel the stress -- on the 27th. I know it's expensive though, even with the just the tour, and of course work is a problem for many of us.

Here those maples that lost all or most of their leaves are budding and some are leafing out again. I fear for a few of them, and it turns out that I lost some young grafts -- Autumn Moon, Summer Gold, etc -- where the understock died. I am perennially pissed off by the situation of sick or tender (greenhouse raised) understock that causes us to lose our maples.

Here are A. argutum, A. caudatum ssp ukurunduense, A. campestre 'Postelense', A. cappadocicum ssp sinicum var tricaudatum, A. palmatum 'Shigitatsu sawa', A. sikkimense, A. buergerianum 'Wakoh nishiki', A. x zoeschense 'Annae'.

Attached Files:

AlainK and ROEBUK like this.
  22. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Morning coffee!

Attached Files:

AlainK and emery like this.
  23. ROEBUK

Forgotten how to reply to threads !! second time i have uploaded some more colourful pics , pressed something and lost the first batch so tried again. Any way emery i will think about what you suggested, could be able to make them dates ?

Know what you are saying re the under stocks , when i get my new grafts i usually let them alone for the first year then come the second year plant out and then let them try and harden off and get some 'meat on the bones' have around 14 new grafts at present in this situation, then hopefully they will come along next year, six grafts that went out last year made it through the winter and have leafed out ok.

The Ukigumos this year are all showing lovely whites which makes them stand out more , and all the reticulates are looking so good as well, last pic a new one for me ' Nathan ' see how this progress's over the years. Nice sunny day in the UK today so every thing is glowing at present.

John your garden is looking nice as usual enjoy your coffee and vista.

Attached Files:

kgeezy20, 0soyoung and AlainK like this.
  24. ROEBUK

Some nice pubescent fine leaf hairs on the first four, plus a few more colours and one sneaky one at the end , never noticed this before any ideas ?

Attached Files:

AlainK, opusoculi and 0soyoung like this.
  25. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is the view from our living room (in early spring) out the large front picture window. The second two are more recent and shows the dwarf azalea mound in bloom. Thank you for all the positive feedback on my previous posts. Great pictures everyone and thanks for sharing your beautiful maples and gardens!

Attached Files:

kgeezy20 and AlainK like this.