transplanting early cabbages

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Richard Goold, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Richard Goold

Richard Goold New Member

when should I transplant an early Japanese cabbage into a cloche ?

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I'm not sure what you mean by Japanese cabbage, because a Web search brings up several different types of Brassicas. My son, who lived in Japan for a while, says that the most common type of cabbage sold there, called Hakusai, is indistiguishable from the type of Chinese cabbage called Wong Bok or Siew Choy, which has an elongated solid head. If this is the kind of cabbage that you are referring to, it may be susceptible to bolting and is described as not transplanting readily. Transplants are best grown in peat pots so that the roots are disturbed as little as possible. To prevent bolting, delay planting out until the weather warms up. Planting under a cloche will help, but the weather lately has been significantly cooler than usual; so I would delay planting outdoors until the daily highs are regularly above 10 degrees C.

3. Richard Goold

Richard Goold New Member

not the type of cabbage. This is called early green and is grown from seed by my wifes (Japanese ) relatives. It resembles the Taiwan variety sold here and is quite flat with a short inside stem. They are also quite large and very tender. I grew them last year but didnt get the seeds untill April. And am told they can be started much earlier.

4. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

There are many types of flat leaf Brassicas. Are the stems almost white, like Bok Choy; or are they green? If the latter, you might have a mild oriental mustard like Komatsuna, which is also called mustard spinach. I'm growing those under a cloche right now. They can be grown right through the winter in our climate. I'm not familiar with the Bok Choy types.

5. Richard Goold

Richard Goold New Member

Thanks for your reply but these are cabbages. I grow bok choi as well as the Japanese mustards and even one of their favorites ,domesticated Burdock. I believe they must be related to the Taiwanese cabbage. I have always transplanted cabbage as I could never germinate them {our favorite is a very tender " early green" from Wing Wong on Marine } I found out last year that the planted seeds must be kept at a constant 75 to 80 degrees to germinate. I wont take a chance on them , I'll wait. Thanks again.