Wasting my time thinking seeds will grow?

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by leslie reed, Jan 27, 2017.

1. leslie reed

leslie reed New Member

If I throw down seeds, maybe scratch around a bit and walk away, what is the probability that anything will grow? Please be blunt.

I have been clearing invasives from Stanley Park in Vancouver since the summer of 2006. I work in the wild west half where it is almost 100% shady coniferous. After clearing large patches of English Ivy there has always been natural regeneration without my having to 'do' anything. But a few years ago I realized that despite policy statements and budget funding, not one Blackberry plant resulting from the 2006 wind storm had been pulled up ... so that is what I am concentrating on now.

My problem is in the areas that are large and sunny. There is no natural regeneration. The soil seems to have been 'sterilized' by the Blackberry. Leaving it open and sunny is just 'asking for it' to be recolonized by Blackberry. So I need to 'do' something.

But my time must be prioritized. It is only me doing this work. There is no way I will be lugging gallons of water around to 'water' plantings. I have no space at home to start plants in pots. The most I think I can accomplish is to collect seed berries, wash off the fruit, dry them, store them in a cupboard +/or fridge, and then sprinkle over the ground at some point in the season.

I have done that this winter with Western Yew (about to 'plant' now). How about my chances with Vine Maple, Red elderberry, or Salal? There is so much Salmon Berry regrowth that I really don't want to add more.

Would I be wasting my time?

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Based on my observations, chances are decent for all of those (unless red elderberry needs to pass through a bird gut, but I don't think so). Something is better than nothing in this case, I don't think you'd see the same success as transplanting seedlings, but once you get something like salal established, it can recolonize quickly.

3. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

Another native shrub that grows well from seed is Ocean Spray. I see lots of these covering old logging roads, and their blossoms are quite showy.

4. leslie reed

leslie reed New Member

Thanks for the feed back. So I go out today and 'plant' my Western Yew. I had not thought about Ocean Spray so I don't have any mental image where some plants are, but now I'll pay attention.

5. vitog

Ocean Spray seed heads are easily recognizable once you have identified them. I'm not sure if viable seeds persist through the winter, but I plan to look for some in the near future. If I find some usable seeds, I'll post a photo here.

6. vitog

Here is a photo of the Holodiscus discolor seed heads, taken today in the rain. They still seem to be full of seeds, but I won't know if the seeds are viable until they sprout. I'll be planting them indoors soon. (Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to insert only one copy of the photo,)

128848-e4ddf9709b7fddc8cef6e471a6d2043f.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  7. leslie reed

leslie reed New Member

Thanks for your efforts. But I think I will wait a year until I can do a positive identification by flowers and leaves anything I plant in areas I have broken my back clearing. I don't want to make it for naught.