Yellow spots on soil

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Mila, Jan 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mila

Mila New Member

IMG_6245.JPG IMG_6243.JPG this is my first post so excuse me if I'm not descriptive enough. So my succulents have been fine and then the next day I realized that the soil has been almost moldy, in a way. I have temporarily planted some together because my niece broke all my pots and the mold has been spreading most towards the middle succulent. It spreads extremely fast because I don't recall seeing it 2 days ago, which is the last time I checked up on all my plants. What do I do and what exactly is this? It would break my heart if something were to happen to my plants. Also, the yellow spots are soft and surround by white. See pictures for more details.

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

This fungus seems to be fairly common as it is asked about on a regular basis. I don't believe it has been definitively identified. In my case they seem occur with Leucocoprinus birnbaumii (MushroomExpert.Com). Perhaps the yellow spheres are the precursor to the mushroom form. In any case they have not been a problem for my plants and only appear under certain conditions.

3. Mila

Mila New Member

Do you know what causes this fungus? I wouldn't want it to appear again, especially since it wouldn't be visible through my usual pots

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I use sterilized soil for all my containers and did not have any problem for many years. Then somewhere along the way the fungus appeared, probably from a newly purchased plant. It's probably here to stay since the spores will just go from one container to another no matter what I do. Then again it's not a problem for me as the plants don't seem to be affected. I pluck the mushrooms and scoop away the yellow balls from the soil surface when they occasionally appear.