British Columbia: fuegian garden.

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Fouquetteaboutit, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Fouquetteaboutit

Fouquetteaboutit New Member

Does anyone grow any nothofagus trees on the BC coast? Can they even survive here? I have been planning an exotic south American garden, with monkey puzzles, gunnera, etc etc. I would love to get my hands on some of the other trees from the southern cone. Drimys Winteri is another one that I would love to get my hands on.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I also just saw a photo posted of Nothofagus dombeyi from VanDusen Botanical Garden.
    Nothofagus dombeyi-03

4. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Most if not all of the S American Nothofagus should do well for you; the ones that are least likely to succeed are N. alessandri and N. glauca (they are probably also unavailable, too). The others should all do well - give them plenty of space, as some can reach 30 m tall in 40 years.

5. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

There is a small Drimys winteri at the front entrance of the Garden--planted under the chitalpa. I had to go out just now to see how it was handling these sub-zero temperatures. It looks OK so far, but we'll see how it fairs next season.

6. Fouquetteaboutit

Fouquetteaboutit New Member

This is a plant that I have always wanted to get my hands on. I have heard they don't do well with cold outflow air on the mainland, but the location I plan to plant is on the northwest coast of the island where it will be much more oceanic than the lower mainland. I managed to grow eucalyptus globulus outdoors for 3 seasons until they were killed in an unusual 2 foot dump of snow.