Old Jade Plant

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Marty2, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Marty2

Marty2 Member

I have a very old Jade plant and I cut it back severely because it was very 'leggy looking and drooping'. I did this about a week ago and I am wondering if I can put it in our 'now rather cool' enclosed garage? In the hopes that I see some new baby shoots come to the stocks. Now there are just two rather large 'bare of course' stems that come up from the root.
    I would really appreciate any info!!
    Thank you.
    Sincerely, Elaine

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Will it be getting any sunlight at all in the enclosed garage?

3. Marty2

Marty2 Member

I suppose diffused light as there is a window and high windows on top of garage doors. I overwinter my geraniums and a few other plants in there and so far no problems.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Should be okay to do, sounds like others do it to plants that haven't been cut back and they do well.

5. Marty2

Marty2 Member

Thanks Daniel, I decided to play it safe and put it in a back room.
    But, - I have another question - can I cut it further back ( without putting it into shock? ) I had pruned it back on each stem ( 'V' shaped from the root base - these are abut 5 inches wide at the base ) to nine inches and there are small stubs of the branches left. Do you think I could cut it back more? like 2-3 inches more?