Tropea onions

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Richard Goold, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Richard Goold

Richard Goold New Member

Tropea onions ? Can they be grown in the lower mainland ?

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I don't have any experience with that particular variety, but I see that they are a red onion normally grown through the winter in a mediterranean climate. So I would expect that there would be no problem growing them here; but they might not like our winter weather, in which case they could be sown early in the spring, as suggested by Johnny's Selected Seeds, which sells this variety. Since it is not a storage onion, it should do well in this area.

3. Delvi83

Delvi83 Active Member

Onions are pretty cold-hardy....anyway the Tropea Onions comes from Tropea, a city of South Italy (Calabria regions) with warm winter.....anyway it's thought that its flavor is due to the particular soil present in Tropea.

4. Richard Goold

Richard Goold New Member

You are probably correct. In 2012 we stayed near Tropea for the entire month of Sept. The first time I saw Tropea onions I said to my wife "red shallots ". the sales lady became very upset " no ees shallots ! ees Tropea onions!" This year we stayed the month of Sept on a farm at Riccardi, near Tropea. They grow the most beautiful peppers, egg plants & tomatoes. I believe the soil is volcanic and that would account for the flavour. Oct ober in Calabria brings rain. The last week in Sept the fields were all being planted with onion transplants i supose in anticipation of the rain. They are, like the peppers, egg plants and tomatoes the most beautiful we have ever tasted!