Identification: Mushrooms for id

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Sundrop, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Growing in a flower bed mulched with wood chips. They look slimy but it is because of the constant rain we have here. Spore print is dark beige. Sorry for the bad quality of the 1st pic, if needed I can take another.

DSCF7619.jpg DSCF7610.jpg DSCF7614.jpg

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

LBM. Little brown mushroom. Forget them, there are thousands. Concentrate on the edibles and study the common poisonous ones. You live in mushroom country and I envy that.

3. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi Sundrop,

It is difficult, often not possible, to identify LBMs from photos, though your description of the habitat and spore colour certainly narrows down the possibilities. Your first photo, tho a bit blurry, indicates the gill attachment is not decurrent.

I'm thinking Hebeloma, maybe Inocybe, but there are other genera this could be. Any distinctive smell? Any tiny weeping tears on the upper stem? What kinds of trees are nearby?

cheers,
    frog

4. Sundrop

Thanks very much Frog.

Yes, gills are not decurrent. I will check the smell and the tears a little later and post the info.
    There was a Juniper growing in the bed a few years ago and the bed is close to a Douglas Fir on one side and not too far from a Lodgepole Pine on another, although I don't believe that the trees have any importance in this case, since the mushrooms grow only in the mulched bed, not even one outside of it under the trees. I have other mushrooms growing under the DF, but, strangely, only outside the bed.

I have checked images for Hebeloma and Inocybe, they look somewhat close, but not quite right. What are the other possibilities?
    Someone suggested a Psilocybe to me, the mature mushrooms look very much like
    Psilocybe cyanescens I can see on the Net, although mine seem to be more chunky. They definitely are too big to belong to the LBMs gr
    oup.

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

6. Sundrop

@Frog They don't have any distinctive smell and I can't see any weeping tears on the stems.
    @Daniel Mosquin Not yet.