Sick trees

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by D.J. Johnson, Oct 14, 2016.

1. D.J. Johnson

D.J. Johnson New Member

I really prize my lawn and garden, lately it seems like sickness striking , first my beloved plum trees, now there is a powdery substance on the limbs of my shrubs. Can anyone give me any advice of what this is. And how to stop it. It would be greatly appreciated.

20161014_163119.jpg 20161014_163421.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2016
  2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Delvi83 likes this.
  3. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Nice cat! Lichens aren't a problem -- they are symptomatic of poor growth. Essentially, the tree isn't healthy enough to grow and expand. When it is healthy, most trees (not all) have enough growth that they are constantly sloughing off bark, preventing lichens from establishing. So, look elsewhere for the root of the problem.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

** Reviving this thread, as I see that the original poster had started a different thread with the same text re: the powdery substance, but with a different image showing a powdery substance that is potentially problematic. So, keeping the original replies re: the lichen, but also notifying others that the original question isn't resolved **

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

The powdery substance may be woolly aphids.

6. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Lichen (harmless) in photo #1, woolly aphids (on privet; damaging to the privet) in photo #2. Since privet is an invasive alien weed in Mississippi, the woolly aphids are actually helping out in this case.