Help with pruning a Owari Satsuma tree

Discussion in 'Citrus' started by Pamsco49, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Pamsco49

Pamsco49 New Member

Hello all....I wanted to say hello and ask a few questions. I've had my satsuma tree for 3 years and each season it has produced 9-11 satsuma so. I don't know How long it had been in the pot before I brought it home to know its actual age. I live in Fort Worth, Texas. It is very dry and hot here. I decided to keep this little guy in a pot instead of planting in the ground. I'm afraid it won't make it if I do. He was in the original container the first 2 years and I moved him to a 5 gallon pot this fall. He has done very well and is growing rapidly, which brings me to my questions. I adore this tree and am ignorant when it comes to trimming. I see new growth on the limbs. It has already flowered and has dozens of green fruit (most will fall off). They are the size of peas. I noticed the bottom of the trunk has gotten bigger and has green sprouts growing from the base of the trunk. I'm worried this isn't good. I have read of "suckers and or "water sprouts".... How do I know if this is what the new growth is? I also have a very long leggy branch and needed to know where to trim it. Can someone please help me and point me in the right direction? I would be happy to post pictures if I can. I look forward to meeting you all and appreciate any help/advice you can give :)

Pam

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

I believe it would be best to keep pruning to a minimum and prune only to control growth. Root pruning along with proportional removal of top growth will be necessary once maximum container size has been reached.

Is it a grafted tree? Any growth below the graft line should be removed. I would probably remove it even if weren't in order to maintain the form of the tree.

3. Pamsco49

Pamsco49 New Member

I'm not certain if the tree if grafted or not. How would I find that out? Thanks for replying to me :) I have never pruned the tree and have read not to. It's been in its bigger pot for 5 months now and this is the 1st time I've seen any new growth that low. It's about 2" from the soil.

The leggy branch is quite long and it's growing straight outwards. I didn't know if I should trim while the tree is young or to wait until I move to the 10 gallon in 2 yrs. I appreciate you helping me.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

If you want people to look at photos of your tree to see if it's grafted, then post photos of it. Here are instructions.
    Attach photos and files

5. Junglekeeper

6. mr.shep

mr.shep Well-Known Member 10 Years

Sometime check out these important web sites. If your tree is not on its own roots via a seedling or a rooted cutting, it is more likely budded rather than being grafted. A photo of the trunk should provide a better idea as to whether you have a sucker issue or not.

Patio Citrus for Texas

Texas Citrus and Subtropical Fruit

Jim

7. Pamsco49

Pamsco49 New Member

I know it's been awhile for me to reply. I will try to attach a picture to better show if the tree is:
    1. Grafted?
    2. Is that a sucker?
    3. Why the fruit only grows on one side of tree?
    4. Can it live forever in a pot?

Thank you all in advance

Attached Files:

8. Junglekeeper

There appears to be a graft a few inches above the soil line. Note the difference in appearance of the bark above and below that point. Also note the lower growth has leaves that are different from those above. They're trifoliate and a dead giveaway that it's rootstock growth and therefore should be removed.

Trees can be grown on in pots if they are pruned to control growth. The root system should be also be reduced proportionally after removal of top growth.

9. Pamsco49

Pamsco49 New Member

Thank you for your reply. I removed the lower growth and it was actually thorny! I didn't expect that lol.

How do I know when the fruit is ready and ripe? I've seen green satsuma being sold and mine are now primarily orange on the tree. Again. Thank you!

10. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Citrus unshiu - Wikipedia says "Satsumas grown in humid areas may be ripe while the skin is still green." You could try one?