Corn plant dying after repotting

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Rtoosweet2b, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Rtoosweet2b

Rtoosweet2b New Member

image.jpg image.jpeg I need help with my mass cane! I think it's dying after I replanted it, I'm so sad, my aunt gave it to me when she moved out of country, help me please! ☹️

Attached Files:

2. Terry Phillips

Terry Phillips Active Member

Is everything you are doing the same as before getting the same lighting check with your aunt could be getting to much light or not enough depending on where she had it before . soil , to wet to dry , extra plant in pot around base , did the roots get broken when transplanting , check for insects ? if all good there might be missing nutrients ask nursery what might be best for that particular plant sorry all I can think of good luck ;-)>~

3. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

It is too soon to assume your corn plant is dying. It could simply be experiencing transplant shock which, normally, you would expect the plant to get over after a few weeks. As well as having been recently transplanted, this particular plant is trying to adjust to new living conditions.

However, I see ongoing problems with this corn plant in its new location because it will receive so little natural light. Even though corn plants can make do with less light than many other plants, this will get natural light only from the side next to the window and the top of the plant will get almost none.

If it were mine, I would cut it back drastically - back to the top of the thick canes and let it grow again from that point. Wait until next spring to fertilize. This isn't the best video but gives an idea of how to cut:

You can even start new plants from the pieces you remove.

Also, take a few minutes to read one or two of the websites that describe how to care for Dracaena fragrans. I'll bet, a year from now, it will be gorgeous.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2016