Acer tataricum (?) 'Flame' (?)

Discussion in 'Maples' started by AlainK, Aug 26, 2016.

1. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

I managed to raise three seedlings from a dozen seeds I pinched in a park. Probably Acer tataricum ssp ginnala 'Flame' (see Identification: - Three maples in a park)

Although they're in the same place, with the same soil mix, one looks very healthy, and one looks sick (the third one is in-between).

I can't tell how close to the mother-tree these can be. Tere are A. palmatum cultivars around, but no other from the Section Ginnala, so I think the chances they are hybrids are close to nil, but they might have reverted. We'll see: so far, they were kept in the shade, I'll put them in a more exposed spot when the heat wave ends (38° here, 20° at night!), if the winter doesn't come too soon, they will have at least an extra two months before they shed their leaves.

acer-tataricum-fl-00_160826a.jpg

acer-tataricum-fl-001_160826a.jpg

acer-tataricum-fl-002_160826a.jpg

Attached Files:

2. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Hi Alain,

Yes, awful weather for maples just now...

Why do you suspect these are 'Flame' rather than just A. tataricum ssp ginnala? (FWIW -- maybe not much -- I think this is the correct name).

My understanding now is that 'Flame' is not a cultivar but a seed strain. It is not reliable for red fall colour, or not more so than the species in any case. I have 'Flame' from a reliable source, it is supposed to be a rooted cutting. It is generally underwhelming compared to other ginnala specimen, and it's a well established tree too. These do put up with a huge amount of abuse, including direct sun, so if you want to see some red you might give them some more light.

cheers,

-E