Identification: Mystery plant

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwest Native Plants' started by proflex4ever, Aug 22, 2016.

1. proflex4ever

proflex4ever Member

I am looking for an ID of the plant in the foreground of this picture. It is growing alongside sword fern. The plant is growing out of a rock crevass on a rocky outcropping 2 M above high water mark. This picture was taken on the Sunshine Coast. Thanks for any ideas. ca

Attached Files:

• 1234.JPG
      1234.JPG
      File size:
      473.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

That looks like Sweet cicely, Myrrhis odorata. There is a BC native Sweet Cicely (Osmorhiza berteroi) - but I think the one in your photo is an introduced weed.

proflex4ever likes this.
  3. proflex4ever

proflex4ever Member

Thanks for the reply. I have never seen another specimen that looks like this on the Sunshine Coast. This pic was taken from a small island just off the Coast, and the sword fern growing alongside was also well out of its usual range.

4. Margot

It will likely remain a mystery how either of those plants came to grow, side by side, on a small island off the Sunshine Coast. Wouldn't we love to know?

5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Since ferns disperse by spores, they can get around to odd places more readily than most seed plants.

6. Margot

I don't think proflex4ever was wondering so much about the sword fern, as the plant beside it. I still think it looks very much like Myrrhis odorata, not even our native Sweet Cicely. Finding a sword fern there is not surprising but finding the Sweet Cicely is . . . they do self seed prolifically but I don't think the seeds are usually dispersed by wind.

7. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

I was replying specifically to this: