Roses ejecting minute amounts of fluid

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Rod McTaggart, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Rod McTaggart

Rod McTaggart New Member

When backlit by the sun our climbing rose ejects fluid which can be seen as glints of light as they rise about a centimeter or two before falling. What part of the rose is involved is difficult to determine. This has been phoographed on two separate hot evenings. Googling is of no help.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Do we get to see the photos, to show what you're talking about?

3. Rod McTaggart

Rod McTaggart New Member

The videos are definitely amateurish but on further observation this evening I saw a torpedo-shaped green insect about a centimetre long on the centre vein of a leaf that was ejecting the fluid. My system doesn't seem to want to upload the video. Mystery, if there was one, appears to be solved.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Yes, likely insect in origin. As to the why... I wouldn't want to speculate without seeing an image.

5. Rod McTaggart

Rod McTaggart New Member

The insect involved was, I believe, a variety of leaf hopper. It didn't seem to be harming the plant as it remained as healthy and vigorous as a rose in midsummer can be.