Complaint about postings in the Cherry Blossom Festival forums

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements and Feedback' started by Margot, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

Sorry - I don't understand. What is the point of clogging up the already too-short New Posts list with interminable blogs from 8 years ago?

It certainly doesn't generate the kinds of Q & A and information sharing that I have come to enjoy on the UBC Hort Forum.

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

@Margot, there are two things to address here. One is that the VCBF forums are hosted by the UBCBG forums, and in the spring, we have a lot of postings. Right now, I wanted to add several new locations that we learned of from the city (and I wanted to get them on our festival map). Fair enough that that would not interest you. I'm not sure why you can't just ignore them. But in the spring, we're the most active forum, or at least that's our intention. So it won't be just five postings; it will be a lot of postings for two or three months, however long it takes to report on blooming times in all the city neighbourhoods for fifty or so cultivars. Fortunately for you, not all cultivars in all neighbourhoods get reported. I don't know how others deal with all this stuff, mixed in with requests for the information you have been so generously and informatively providing. I don't know if there is an option to ignore certain forums. @Daniel Mosquin?

The other point I'm not sure I understand. When you say "interminable blogs from 8 years ago", that makes me wonder if you get taken to the first posting, not the latest posting. Why would you have even seen that they go back 8 years? It has been an issue for me that we do not have an option to always display the VCBF Neighbourhood Blog forums latest first, since, for the most part (but not always), people are not so interested in anything other than the most current postings.

3. wcutler

Also, @Margot, I wonder if you realize that after you've read everything under New Posts that interests you, you can click Mark all posts as read at the upper right to remove the rest from your list, so you don't need to visit postings in areas that don't interest you to wipe them from your New Posts list.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Marking all posts as read is the approach I take.

I could increase the list of New Posts appearing on a single page, but it is a hack that would have to be redone every time I update the forum software. There isn't a plugin for it.

5. wcutler

And that marks all new posts, not just ones you've read about that are on the page, right? Are there pages? Or do you just not get notified of what doesn't fit on a page? That would certainly be a problem.

Having a selection box, like on email, to mark selected ones as read would help. A more difficult hack, I guess.

6. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

It does paginate, yes. So if I've been away for a few days, there is a Page 1, Page 2, etc. of new posts.

I just right-click, open in New Tab all the ones I want to read, then click on Mark all posts as read for those I know other moderators will look at.

wcutler likes this.