Mystery #2: Unknown purple bush/tree

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by ej2468, Jul 30, 2016.

1. ej2468

ej2468 New Member

This bush/tree has a bush at the bottom about 2' tall and almost 3' in diameter. Out of the "bush" portion, there are 2 long trunks/branche 8-10' high, about 1 1/2" in diameter. Each trunk/branch has a bush at the top. It doesn't appear to have been pruned this way, but I can't tell for sure since I am new to the property. The birds love to sit and bounce on the trunk/branch just below the top bush.

The attached picture of the bush shows it in the middle of several other bushes with green leaves. I marked one picture with red to show the bush at the bottom & top with the 2 long trunks/branches.

The leaves are roundish, smooth edges, stems & leaf veins redish on top. Leaf, stem & veins are green on back. I didn't notice any flowers or fruit. In the picture, on leaf is turned over.

Thanks for any insight you can give me!
    - Evelyn
    purple leaves from bush.jpg purple leafed bush.jpg purple leafed bush-circled.jpg

2. Silver surfer

Silver surfer Generous Contributor 10 Years

Evelyn please can you add more images to this thread
    Pics 2 and 3 are no help with any id as they do not show any detail..eg how leaves are arranged on the branch. Cannot see any purple colouration in your pic as they won't enlarge.

It is possible that it may be Cotinus coggygria...but why anyone would grow it like that I haven't got a clue.

cotinus coggygria leaf - Google Search

In you pic there is a lighter coloured blob...might that possibly be the flowers of the Cotinus?

cotinus coggygria flowers - Google Search

Last edited: Jul 31, 2016
  3. ej2468

ej2468 New Member

I believe you're correct. It looks like the cotinus coggygria. I didn't recognize the bare twig looking things as flowers. They look more like what's left after insects have attacked.

I don't know how to do a better job of the pictures since my camera "condenses" the pics when I email them to myself to get them on my computer. I'll have to see if I can borrow a camera.

Thanks for the info! I'll look up cotinus coggygria.

2 of my many plant mysteries are now solved!!

4. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Ditto to Cotinus coggygria