Acer buergerianium 'Goshiki Kaede'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by ROEBUK, Jul 22, 2016.

1. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Just wondering if anyone knows where i could source one of these in the UK? or are they quite a scarce cultivar to find ?

Afterglow likes this.
  2. Afterglow

Afterglow New Member

Goshiki-Kaede :: Acers ::...

I had a quick search for you Mark, found just one place selling in UK so far, above link, in different sizes and pricing, obviously large sizes, I'm know you will have better idea of pot size than me, all the best.

I did find some smaller 1.5, 3 and 4 litre sizes in France, if no one knows anywhere else that sells here in the UK.

Keith

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  3. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I wonder if anyone in France actually has this, I see Maillot lists but with no stock. Is that what you saw Keith?

The link is a little strange, same prices for (e.g.) A davidii, A. negundo and Goshiki Kaede! It's a hard tree to grow, but the other 2 grow like weeds.

Wish you luck finding it Mark, I got mine (new graft) from Esveld in 2008, and planted in 2012, it's only a couple of feet high although a little spread out, and rather gangly. Was wondering if I should cut it back, actually. A very beautiful plant, for sure. A big specimen would be amazing to find, and 45 liters should be a pretty big shrub!

-E

Afterglow likes this.
  4. Afterglow

Afterglow New Member

Hi Emery, yes it was Maillot, sorry I didn't notice it was out of stock, I will search later this evening again, I'm pretty good at finding things.

The trees on offer in the link must be a fair size for sure.

5. ROEBUK

Keith i had actually seen that link you posted before, they just act as middle men for a larger wholesaler down south who grow very large specimen trees for the UK market.

Wouldn't dream of paying what they are asking for the 45ltr tree , love Acers but tend to balk off when they get into three figure numbers, would have to be something extra special for me to justify paying that sort of money, have enough trees to keep me happy at present :)

Might have to look at my second choice which was a ' Drumondi 'a bit more realistic price wise, plus i can find smaller ones of these which i can manage more because this will be just for container growing.

emery you will have to post a pic of your GK can't say that there are many good pics around of this cultivar?

Afterglow likes this.
  6. Afterglow

Afterglow New Member

Hey Mark, you don't miss much that's happening in the Acer world, I did have another look around, I don't like the internet beating me if I can't find something, only possible link I found was the following, a German site which has Goshiki Kaede listed on their plantlist at what must be 32.50 Eoro's, and I'm not sure what they have for the size which is C 32j.V

May be worth a try if you really wanted one, they might have some in stock if their list is correct.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  7. emery

Well, this seems to be the only picture I have (or can find) of it. From May '15. I'll try to get some pics of it this WE, time permitting, as I said it's looking decent, seems to have survived the recent heat wave. Unlike lots of other maples, who are looking very crispy! Mind, GK is in almost full shade.

Attached Files:

Afterglow likes this.
  8. ROEBUK

Thanks for the pic emery , maybe i will find one ?

9. emery

Have been running in and out of town and so not had a chance to get any photos until today. Looking rather peaky as much is now, but will give you a flavour for the plant. Rather unkempt, sorry!

Attached Files:

ROEBUK likes this.
  10. ROEBUK

Very pretty especially pic 3 , like the demarcation lines of the white against the green and the all so subtle hue of pink edges.