Apartment orchid care - looking for tips

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by Monica Widjaja, Jun 29, 2016.

1. Monica Widjaja

Monica Widjaja New Member

Hellpppp !!!! I need help with my apt orchid care !!! anybody has ideas ? how often to water , fertilize etc etc ? I would love to grow orchid successfully ... any advices ? I live in Edmonton, Alberta ! that is another problem too ... thanks

2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Feel how heavy it is after you water it. When it feels light, water it again. Do not leave it sitting in water.

They usually don't flower more than once or twice in a year, so you need patience. Some of them only flower from new leaves. One of mine is flowering now, and I've recently poured water with fertilizer through it, which I say because all the water seems to run right through. I don't know if that's what made it flower.

I think they don't want direct light, since most of the houseplant orchids are plants that would grow on tree limbs, so in shade. Mine are about two meters away from a sunny window. One flowers, the other doesn't.

Monica Widjaja likes this.
  3. Monica Widjaja

Monica Widjaja New Member

Thanks a lot Wendy for your reply , I just watered my orchids this morning and fertilize it with 25-10-10, is it the wrong fertilizer ?