questionable

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by Tomina, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Tomina

Tomina Active Member 10 Years

So I was told this was a mimulus/monkey flower, but I would like to confirm/correct that. It does not seem like those that I do know in the mountains. It was on Yellow Aster Bute trail at Mount Baker last September.
    Any ideas/info?

Attached Files:

2. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

With nothing much to do tonight, I've been trying to find the name of this plant. I do not think it is Mimulus . . . Mimulus lewisii is pink but doesn't look like the flower in your photo. Does the stem look square to you? My hunch is that this is in the mint family - Lamiaceae - perhaps a salvia. I look forward to someone more knowledgeable than I am to positively identify it.

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I started to write this before you wrote your reply, but got sidetracked on a site with amazing photos. It looks more mint-y to me too, something in the Lamiaceae family. Were the stems square (I wrote before you wrote)? I see one photo of Calamintha grandiflora that looks like that, and a description that says fuzzy leaves, but most of the photos show leaves and stems with no hairs and different leaf margins, not as scallopped, and I don't think that it should be growing wild around there.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  4. Margot

Margot Renowned Contributor 10 Years

5. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  6. Tomina

Tomina Active Member 10 Years

fantastic! By jove, you have got it!
    I wandered thru some nettles on line last night but could not come up with what you found. Terrific.
    T.