Help with my lilac!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Kristylilac2016, Jun 24, 2016.

1. Kristylilac2016

Kristylilac2016 New Member

image.jpg Hi everyone
    I am new to the forum and am hoping I can get some advice!
    I have two Lilac trees(or large bushes ) one is light purple the other dark! Both over the past years have done well they have access to full light for most of the day and lots of water/rain (I live in NL, Canada). They are in the front of my house on either side and are flanked by ceder round bushes.
    Here is the problem , my dark purple Lilac does not seem to have as many blooms as last year and the ends of some branches where the blooms look like the should be there is either old bloom material or maybe new bloom material that is dead???

Any suggestions on what is the cause or what to do!!! I dearly love my lilacs!!! They were my grandmothers favorite
    Thanks ,Kristy

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Welcome to the forums Kristy.
    Could the cedar round bushes be too much root competition for nutrients and water, or making the soil too acidic ?

3. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Hello Kristy,

It looks like your post got somehow overlooked until chimera rediscover it. Unfortunately it happens sometimes :(

I would not worry at all that one of your Lilacs had less blooms this year. Some of my Lilacs bloomed quite sparingly this year, too. Plants are mysterious creatures, they don't perform exactly the same each year, and you can never know exactly why.

These strange “blooms” look strange indeed, but other than that your plants look healthy, so I would not worry about that too much either, just prune them out.

Mulch around your plants with not contaminated with herbicides or pesticides grass clippings to keep them happy, and be careful not to overwater. Water deeply but not more often than once a week during dry and hot weather and everything should be ok.

How long you have those Cedar bushes growing close to your Lilacs, is this something new?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016