My catcus has been removed from its roots

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by josephng1234, May 18, 2016.

1. josephng1234

josephng1234 New Member

Can anyone please help me! im afraid of losing this cactus!
    Firstly my cactus "arms" fell off from its stem, so i went to remove the whole stem . Unfortunely , i pulled it too hard and its detached from its root.
    i also realized that the soil is very moist.
    Someone please give me some advice as this cactus is very important to me.

Attached Files:

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

This poor thing has had its roots rotted from overwatering, and it's been going on for a while. The new growth should look like the old more than it does. Those cylindrical pieces are probably supposed to be pads. With too much water and possibly not enough sun, its come to this sorry state.

Okay, to try and save it now may not work, but you need to leave the cactus green parts out on newspaper, no dirt on them, but don't wash them. You want the mushy parts cut off if there are any. I'd bet the bottom of the one pad has some yellowy soft spots. Just cut most of the goop off and discard. Let the good pieces air dry a bit. Maybe a day or two, but probably more, probably not more than a week. You want the bottoms and cut areas to form a callus, a dry area. Then dust with an antifungal rooting hormone and put them in fresh cactus mix. Good luck.