Is water collected from the roof safe for use on soft fruit etc

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Margaret, May 17, 2016.

1. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

I have just purchased two 1000 litre water totes which I intend to use to collect water from the roof. I have been told, after I have purchased the totes of course, that the water may not be safe to use on fruit and vegetables because it may be contaminated. Any thoughts...

2. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

Well I collect a similar amount of water and use it all the time in old air polluted Ontario. I prefer it to tap water, chlorine and fluoride treated water. I have an unproven feeling that plants prefer the downspout rain water. But in either case, I use what is available and worry not. To clarify I prefer the downspout rain water.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?XHGLB 8 April 2009 Downspout Rainwater
    Pictures indicating a simple, practical method of utilizing downspout rainwater. Barrels cost 15 dollars and all parts are standard plumbing fittings. Any urban downspout system must address the overflow problem during rainfall. The large bung hole is a reasonable compromise for overflow. The height is such that a hose may be utilized for watering plants, but I usually use five gallon buckets on a two wheeled cart. The system is readily expandable by cascading more barrels in line. I have four barrels, two on each side of the house. the system is essentially closed, hence mosquitoes are not a problem.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZVABL 16 April 2009 Downspout Water Connection.
    Seasonal connections. The downspout water system was switched over to Summer mode by connecting the downspout to the storage barrels.

3. Margaret

Margaret Active Member 10 Years

Thanks Durgan.

Very interesting and practical setup. We have two large areas of roof and will quickly fill up the totes and we also have two regular plastic barrels so unless we have a worse drought (level 4) than last year hope to be ok this year. I have decided to add filters to run the water through as this will take care of leaves and bits of roofing.

Margaret

4. Durgan

Durgan Contributor 10 Years

I don't filter but do have a screen at the inlet to the catch barrel. I suspect filtering is overkill for plant watering.