Raspberry cain borer

Discussion in 'Fruit and Vegetable Gardening' started by Vida Bien, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Vida Bien

Vida Bien New Member

Can someone tell me what the best way to control Raspberry cain borers using an Organic method is and when is the best time of the year to start.

2. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

You will have to do it when your Raspberries start developing new shoots. Watch them closely and remove and safely dispose the tips of the affected canes below the two girdling rings you should see on the cane not far from the wilting tip.
    Do it soon enough, before the eggs laid between the rings have hatched, as soon as you see the first signs of tips wilting.
    Don't take a chance the eggs will not hatch on your compost pile, dispose the cuttings safely.

You should also prune the top portion of the previous year canes, about ¼ of the cane length, very early in spring and dispose the cuttings safely, too. My Raspberries grow much taller than myself, so I prune them in spring to about my own height.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  3. Vida Bien

Vida Bien New Member

Than you for your reply I was hoping for an organic solution to the prodlem Thanks again.