Can i grow a palm in Indiana?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Tropicals' started by Alex, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Delvi83

Delvi83 Active Member

Trachycarpus fortunei is the hardiest spieces among palms.....but different cultivars of this have different hardiness...you should check the hardiest, plant near to a wall and see what happens...

pitotes likes this.
  2. pitotes

pitotes Member

Thanks.. I've tried a little bit off everything in those past the years lol

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Haven't ever seen this listed with cultivar names attached. It is raised from seed so unless somebody started to offer meristem propagations it seems the best one could hope for is a seed strain with supposed distinctive, retained characteristics. It HAS been proposed that the plant grown as T. wagnerianus is one such example. I don't know if this line of thinking has led anywhere.

4. pitotes

pitotes Member

5. PalmBoy

PalmBoy Member

Well, 14 years later and I'm 30 now. So here's how it all turned out for all of you palm enthusiasts pushing zones.

My windmill made it 10 years. After I moved out, the palm was taken care of by my parents, who moved it to another spot in the yard, leading to it's sad demise. The ultimate trick is to keep the spear and the crown dry. Saw many -20°F dips with only minor damage. The palm always recovered fully in spring. The rope light around the towering 6ft trunk I think helped. I eventually started building cold frames from 1x2 wood and wrapping in clear plastic. Cutting down the winter wind and giving it the greenhouse effect helped. It received no protection until the first single digit forecasted date, sometimes as late as January, and was removed by mid to late March.

The musa basjoo did well when it was cut to the ground and covered with about 12" of mulch. Occasionally they would come back without the heavy mulch. Keeping the trunk would kill the whole plant. They don't sprout until late May here.

The yucca filamentosa had no problems and is still thriving. Its actually quite common here.

The needle palm is still alive. After 5 years of watching it struggle I potted it and it's grown pretty big. It's about to go back into the ground now that its about 15 years old.

Planted a magnolia grandiflora 'brackens brown beauty' last year. It's an incredible looking specimen and I definitely recommend it. Testing that one here now.

I've dragged washy's, cabbage palms, palmettos, sago palms, chinese fan, and pygmy date palms back from Florida but keep them inside. It's a tropical house here year round. The palm craze continues!

Anyone have any other tropical or tropical-looking plants they push in z6? I'm ready to try more!

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  6. pitotes

pitotes Member

Awesome, I forgot about this post.
    I've grown 15 ft banana plants and a Mediterranean fan palm. Palm is second year in ground with cold frame box and Christmas lights.

Daniel Mosquin likes this.
  7. pitotes

pitotes Member

My landscaping

Attached Files: