A. P. 'Pendulum Julian'

Discussion in 'Maples' started by whis4ey, Nov 22, 2015.

1. whis4ey

whis4ey Well-Known Member 10 Years

This little beauty is a lovely orange colour every year

Attached Files:

2. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

With you on this one Sam, that's a real beauty lovley shape and form on yours. My 'fave' dissectum without question

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

The combining of Latin with non-Latin in the cultivar name doesn't follow protocols.

4. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I have a date of 1935 for this cultivar. Though I don't, sadly have the cultivar! It's on my wish list. But I thought the current protocol was adopted in the 50's?

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

I'd have to look at the Code, combining of Latin with non-Latin may never have been approved. The 1959 thing is a cutoff for using any Latin in cultivar names at all.

6. emery

I seem to be seeing that although it was discouraged in favor of common vernacular names, use of mixed Latin (or any Latin for a garden variety), was only officially nixed in 1952.

Still in 1905 we have

"Seedlings, halfbreeds (metis) of unknown origin and sports should receive from horticulturists fancy names (noms de fantaisie) in common language, as distinct as possible from the Latin names of species or varieties. When they can be traced back to a botanical species, subspecies or variety, this is indicated by a succession of names (Pelargonium zonale, Mrs. Pollock)." International Rules of Botanical Nomenclature adopted at the Botanical Congress of Vienna, article 40.

Of course there was no agreement between the Americans and Europeans, it would appear...

7. ROEBUK

If Messr's Vertrees and all the other well known Acer writers and publishers call this 'Pendulum Julian' that's good enough for me !!, emery you really have to get one of these, they are without doubt one of the nicest of all the dissectums in my humble opion. Perhaps that's why i have five at the moment :) :).... four in the ground and one in a container.

One of the outstanding features of this cultivar are the amazing colour changes through out the year, have added four pictures of the same tree this season.
    May, July, September and then finally late October always something different to look at. From a vibrant burgundy to a dull plum then a rich deep olive and finally the gorgeous fiery orange and gold, also not forgetting it's very odd branch structure which is also very pleasing to the eye when out of leaf.

A welcome addition to anyone's maple garden/collection.

Attached Files:

8. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Great pictures Roebuk, it definitely stands out. I don't have Julian in my collection but I'm adding it to my wish list.
    Most of my maples lost their leaves weeks ago but a few of the dwarf cultivars are still in full leaf, despite the high winds of late.

9. emery

Does it stay small or have you kept it that way? It certainly is a great maple.

BTW it occurs to me that since "pendulum" is a word in English anyway the name was probably OK even in 1935. After all, there are lots of words that are close or the same as Latin in our languages; surely we don't forbid all those words in cultivar names! We shouldn't be prejudiced against words simply because they end in "um"... ;) Maybe someday I'll name a maple AP 'Hokum' or 'Hocus Pocus' to make the point.

maf likes this.
  10. whis4ey

You saved me the trouble of making that point Emery :)
    My own plant has never been pruned ... It is certainly one of my favourites, and the varied colours throughout the year are great (as pointed out by Roebuck)
    Therse colours can also be seen here:
    Acer palmatum 'Pendulum Julian'

11. ROEBUK

Does it stay small or have you kept it that way? It certainly is a great maple.[/QUOTE]

emery... have added more pics of the PJ without leaf so you can see that they come various shapes sizes etc, but they all have the same twisty bendy branch structure and lovely green branch colour, which i think gives them all a pleasing look and more over reverts to the name given to them 'Pendulum' they are as the name suggests very " Pendulous (adj ) hanging loosley or swinging freely" in their appearence.

The only work i do on these is keep an eye out for crossing branches they are quite prone for this, the pictures of the first two trees are after two seasons of been staked back because when i bought them originally they were very tangled and it took quite a bit of very slow careful branch bending and tying to stake and reshape the flow of the branches, these two are both nicely rounded and very bushy in looks and are about 60cm in height, can't see them getting to much more taller than this over the years to come, what i would call a good ground hugger.

Sam nice pics of yours btw, hello again jaybee63 same with me also re: the dwarfs around six that are hanging on till the end!!

Attached Files:

12. Jaybee63

Jaybee63 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

I nipped into Barthelemys today and tried to buy "Julian", unfortunately it's one they don't have.
    I ended up bringing these home

Tennyo no uchi
    Okushimo
    Atrolinear
    Matsugae
    Tatsuta

13. Schattenfreude

Schattenfreude Active Member

I'm also in love with Julian! This is the first year I've been able to enjoy the fall display since we've had a milder fall than usual. He's definitely one of the last trees to turn here in Kansas City. I took these pics yesterday, Nov. 25, 2015, as I was burying pots for the winter.

Kevin in KC

Attached Files:

14. opusoculi

opusoculi Rising Contributor 10 Years

Acer palmatum var dissectum pendula or pendula julian.

'Pendula Julian' was most likely part of the collection brought from Yokohama Nurseries in Japan to the United States in the 1930s by great plantsman Henry Hohman of Kingsville Nurseries in Maryland as many nurseryman and collectors reference him as the source of their plants. There is some confusion about whether the name should be Pendula or Pendulum Julian, but since this cultivar was not included in the list of maples from the pendulum group listed by Wada from Yokohama Nurseries and the cultivar as we know it originated at Yokohama Nurseries then we must use the name first used by Henry Hohman which was 'Pendula Julian'.
    From Maple Ridge Nursery web site .

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  15. whis4ey

The second edition of Vertrees calls the plant 'Pendula Julian' whilst the later pocket guide reverts to 'Pendulum Julian' as the proper name. Wild maples of Japan (Masayoshi Yano) gives the proper name as 'Pendulum Julian' and states 'the original Japanese name is obscure' According to Maples for Gardens by Van Gelderen the proper name is 'Pendulum Julian' and categorically states that the name is often 'mispelled' as 'Pendula Julian' The general weight of opinion therefore would incline towards a rejection of Maple Ridge Nursery's interpretation. I am certainly happy enough with 'Pendulum Julian' which was given as the proper name of the plant when purchased many many years ago from Esveld's nursery in Holland. But, at least, it gives us something to talk about .....

opusoculi likes this.