Fruit tree seed storage

Discussion in 'Fruit and Nut Trees' started by globalist1789, Aug 24, 2006.

1. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Hello,

I’m collecting fruit seeds to sow in spring (Cherry, peach, apple, apricot, and plum). I know that they won’t come true, I want them for bonsai. My question is how is best to store the seeds until spring.

I understand that they need to be moist-chilled before sowing but are they fine to sit wet in the fridge for 6 months? Should I store them dry in the fridge until a few months before spring? Or am I best off sitting them on the counter until the weather cools then pot them up and let nature do the stratification?

Most of what I’ve read suggests that there is no difference between stratifying the seeds outside or in the fridge, but here in Vancouver the winters and so wet and warm that I worry about the seeds just rotting away in the pots.

Advice?

Thank you,
    Michael

2. bcgift52

bcgift52 Active Member

I'm not sure about fruit seed in particular but I store my seed cool and dry in my basement. I know apple seed do not need cold stratification. Last winter I did some Ambrosia seed indoors right after eating the apple and it took only a couple of weeks. I find it easiest to stratify them outdoors. I use small yoghurt containers and put them inside ziplock sandwich bags from the dollar store. If you eat a lot of Dairy Queen icecream or drink bubble tea, they come in plastic cups with domed clear plastic covers which are ideal for outdoor sowing.

3. globalist1789

globalist1789 Active Member

Who doesn't drink bubble tea! lol

I did know you could plant apples right away. I think I'll do that. What the worst that could happen?

Still don't know about the stone fruits, and I have some pine seeds that I figure are treated the same way. But if I bag them like you suggest then they won't be totally soaked all winter. Thats a plus.

4. markgrogan

markgrogan Member

I store my seeds in jars or ziplock bags the fridge together with a few packets of silica gel. Great idea about using yoghurt cups to sprout – old tea towels also work well and all you need to do is to cut out the seeds you want to use and plant them right away.