Leaf issues...

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Kirkhutch, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Kirkhutch

Kirkhutch Member

Hi! My maples leafed our beautifully this spring but the current growth is on several of them looks very odd. Any ideas? I’m posting pics of my Yezo Nishiki and Emperor I leaves. Any ideas for treatment?

Attached Files:

2. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

Hi,

The problem can come from different factors. Is your tree potted or in the soil - the condition of a tree depends for a good part on the health of its roots. And what's its exposure (full sun, partial shade,...?)

I believe it's very hot at the moment in Reno, it doesn't help for most J. maples favor cool humid weather.

Tell us more about its environment and you'll get a more detailed answer.

Cheers,

A.K.

3. Kirkhutch

Kirkhutch Member

Thank you. I planted these out in about 6 months ago. Actually I planted about a dozen ranging in size from large 15g to 2g. The Yezo N is a 15 and the Emperor a 2g. All are doing very well and getting water daily now because it is indeed hot at the moment. Most are in full sun. I’m not observing any leaf scorch that would be suggestive of sun damage. The Yezo N has been so fun to watch as it changes colors daily it seems. For the Yezo N (second pic) it looks like some type of insect damage but I don’t see anything when I look. Any thoughts?

4. AlainK

That's what I figured out. If you lived in France, I'd say it could be leaf-cutter bees, but I'm not sure you have the same critters over the pond. It's summer time and the forum is resting in the heat, but hopefully someone closer to where you live can give you some advice.

Here, in "old Europe", when one of my trees looks stressed, I "transpot" it, that is I put it in a larger pot with free-draining soil so the roots can "breathe". Lots of double quotes, but I think you can see what I mean ;-)

There may be some fungal problems, although I don't think that the problem. In any case, putting your trees in a wider container would help I think.

5. Kirkhutch

Kirkhutch Member

Thank you Alain. I didn’t write clearly in the above post. I meant to say that all of these are planted in the ground. They are no longer in pots.

6. AlainK

All right then.

Protect them from (warm) winds.

Maybe a spray of copper-based fungicide could help too, I mean it won't help them recover but it will slow down any kind of fungal attack. Mulching could also help keep the roots moist and fresher.

From here (zone 8, semi-continental weather) that's as much as I can say...