Appreciation: Summer Foliage

Discussion in 'Maples' started by emery, Jun 10, 2018.

1. emery

emery Renowned Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

We always have a Spring thread, and again one in fall. How about a thread with pictures of peoples maples, showing the flush of new growth, or the typical summer leaves?

I'll kick it off: new growth on 'Simon Louis Freres', 'Mirte' foliage, Paper Bark Maple in summer, 'Candy Ice'. new growth on 'Nizetii', 'Gold Coin', Henry's Maple, 'Kinran', selected seedling, 'Variegatum'.

Now I know things are never quite perfect in the summer, there's insect or sun damage, they could always look better. But we're all grownups (well some of us, presumably) so lets see some pictures warts and all!

Attached Files:

tiko7, ROEBUK and 0soyoung like this.
  2. Ken Hamilton

Ken Hamilton Active Member

Here's the sun shining through my A. p. 'O kagami' .
    Acer cap. 'Aureum' in the background distance.

Attached Files:

3. Ken Hamilton

True spring foliage of my A. p. 'Fior d'Arancio'.

Attached Files:

4. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Not ready for Summer, I feel like Spring just got here last week.

Here are two Japanese maples planted in 1936 in S. Euclid, OH.

Note: This house is grand in stature, but the maples make it appear as though it's small or vice versa.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. emery

O kagami is such a transcendent and mutable maple, it looks different in all situations. And especially good with that 'Aureum' as a backdrop. Thanks Ken, your garden looks like a lovely place to be.

John those are some incredible specimens, wow!

Here are a few more: a couple of the always lovely 'Keikan san', 'Sunglow', 'Miracle Rose' (only just hanging on I'm afraid), 'O sakazuki' in it's summer regalia, and a couple of stachyophyphyllum subsp stachyophyllum -- rolls right off the tongue! -- with it's attractive summer growth.

Attached Files:

6. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

A few reticulates to look at , the first five were all root pruned trimmed and re potted in new medium last Autumn and look great this year best i have ever seen them looking for many a year, the patterns and colours look so defined and striking moving into the new summer colours.

The Mikazuki just looks stunning was very dubious when i first bought this a couple of years ago , it had been kept in sun light was green with scorched leafs and looked awful , just goes to show if you keep them in the right position with the right amount of light and shade you can turn them around and then they will shine for you, the shapes and colours on the leaves are just amazing so different and intereting to look at one of the nicest reticulates out there.

The potted trees do need regular manicures and attention to keep them happy though , the last four pics are all ground planted trees, plus all the Amagi's especially ( 3 ) look very healthy this year, they certainly prefer the ground to containers iv'e found over the years?

After such a late start to the season have found that nearly all the trees have put on such a tremendous amount of new growth so far , maybe this is down to the terrible wash out from last year , perhaps they are all trying to catch up now :)

Attached Files:

7. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

A few more of interest , such a glorious sunny day here in the UK today , just sat here on the patio watching the world go by and doing absolutely nothing pure bliss !!!! Various selection of trees with more to follow shortly.

Last pic of a Mirte well into it's second colour phase of olive green (the brown/red has been and gone in May) before the final fall stage of stunning orange , again this one was well root pruned last year and re potted and now showing a far better leaf size and overall shape of the tree , mind you it had not been touched for the past four years so was well ready for some attention. Pic (8 ) Eskimo sunset wanted one of these for a while now but could never find one i liked they were usually to big and i didn't paticulary like the look of them wanted something smaller and more manageable , found this one in a small garden centre purely by chance lying on it's side with most the medium spilt out on the floor with it's roots showing plus it only had around 18 rough looking crispy leaves on it with a ticket price of £40 !!! managed haggle and get it for £15 though and so glad i bought this one, very pretty to look at and such a prolific grower of new leaves i have found , every time i look at it there are new shoots popping out all over the branches plus the purple under leaf is very attractive and pleasing to the eye just hope i can keep this one going, have heard and read they can be a bit tempromental and prone to die back ? time will tell no doubt :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  8. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

How is it that chipmunk have better germination success than most people trying to start seeds? Maybe we are trying too hard and just need to follow our instincts like the chipmunk.

Find a container that is just right; soil that is moist and light as it's easier to dig than dry and compacted soil. Too shallow and someone else may sniff out your stash, but not so deep that you can't find them when your hungry later. Then softly pat down the soil so no one notices that your stash is buried there!

These are the keys to seed success as the chipmunk teaches us.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  9. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

Got a replacement cell phone from insurance coverage yesterday and took some Summer Foliage shots to check out the camera. (Pretty cloudy today so some of the colors seem muted):

Attached Files:

AlainK and 0soyoung like this.
  10. dangerine49

dangerine49 Contributor

And...

Attached Files:

AlainK, Ken Hamilton and 0soyoung like this.
  11. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

My good friend Elpiedio discovered this tree and it happens to be one of my favorite JM in the Summer. I have posted my tree before, but here is one at his growing field.

Attached Files:

kgeezy20 and dangerine49 like this.
  12. Ken Hamilton

What cultivar is it? Looks great if that is summer foliage.

13. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

It is the Summer color as I have had this tree for several years and took the photo. In shade it is more yellow with less red and more orange with less saturated colors. The color is actually better in person. The cultivar is unnamed and unavailable to the market. Fall color is bright glowing orange.

14. Ken Hamilton

Well done on his discovery of a superb cultivar. Hope someday it will be named and more widely available.

15. Ken Hamilton

It would look lovely beside my ‘Orange Dream’ in the summer!
    It looks a lot more yellow than orange after the spring growth.

Attached Files:

0soyoung likes this.
  16. Daniel Wright

Daniel Wright Member

That orange color is my weakness. So far I've only seen certain Osakazuki's with similar summer colors, but nothing that orange.

Ken: Love the glorious Orange Dream. They are spectacular the way they get lighter where there is more sun. Mine is in my thumbnail =)

17. emery

Getting too senile to remember what I've posted already, sorry for any doubles... Have to go and take more pictures although the truth is after a month of high temperatures and no rain, the maples are looking a little crispy, watering or no. Interesting in these periods of drought we get these last years, the established JMs are among the toughest in the garden.

Here are 'Osakazuki', A. paxii, A. aff. forrestii, A. x orientala 'Minorient', A. acuminatum, A. palmatum 'Asahi zuru', A. cissifolium, A. cappadocicum subsp sinicum, A. capillipes, 'Mikasa yatsubusa'

Attached Files:

AlainK and 0soyoung like this.
  18. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here is some new growth spotted today on Acer palmatum 'Sister ghost'.

Attached Files:

Ken Hamilton likes this.
  19. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here are a few taken today on my phone, not the best quality, but it gets the job done. Close up photos show Summer new growth despite 90's with heat index near 100 most of this month and not much rain!
    Pendula julian
    Orangeola
    Butterfly
    Seedling bonsai from bloodgood
    Aconitifolium
    Hydrangea serrata
    Shishigashira bonsai
    Hana matoi
    Japanese Lilly

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    emery likes this.
  20. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Continued from the post above
    Gwen's rose delight
    Mikawa yatsubusa
    Aconitifolium
    Shishigashira
    Chamaecyparis obtusa Kosteri
    Bloodgood
    Acer palmatum seedling
    Dwarf hosta
    Mikazuki

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    AlainK and emery like this.
  21. emery

I took pictures of seedlings today, (well except for the first one which I took a couple of days ago). They're mostly various JMs and hybrids, with the exception of a couple of A. cappadocidum seedlings growing from seed I picked from a "grove" of 'Aureum' in a supermarket parking lot. Since there are no other trees near these I thought there was a good chance they would throw yellow seedlings, and that's been the case.

The strange wrinkled new growth is from a regular cappadocicum source.

Attached Files:

22. emery

And here are a few more seedlings showing summer growth/colors. There are also a couple of Acer 'Yasemin', and 4 of a more mature seedling (oddly these came out as the 1st pic, and the second to last 3) which I am enjoying now and thinking about planting.

In one of the 'Yasemin' pictures there is an interloper maple, can anyone guess what it is? :)

-E

Attached Files:

23. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Gwen's rose delight (aka Shirazz) with some very large leaves as unusual new growth off two stems. Appears more linearilobum shape leaves. First time it's done this in 10 years with this tree.

Attached Files:

24. JT1

JT1 Contributor 10 Years

Here's some new growth off of Acer palmatum growing as bonsai spotted today.

Attached Files:

25. AlainK

AlainK Renowned Contributor Forums Moderator Maple Society 10 Years

New growth on Acer discolor, 'Beni Hagoromo', and on a seedling form a batch I got from the 2017 seed exchange:

Attached Files: