Magnolia Magnolia liliiflora or Magnolia soulangeana?

Discussion in 'Magnoliaceae' started by i_am_jim, Mar 2, 2018.

1. i_am_jim

i_am_jim Active Member

The person whose yard this was in said it was a Japanese Magnolia. I couldn't find a plant by that name. Googling I decided it was a Magnolia liliiflora but an plant expert I know said it was a Magnolia soulangeana. Which is right?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
  2. i_am_jim

i_am_jim Active Member

Is this one that hard?

3. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I think you're being a little impatient in bumping this after one day, considering that it's the weekend. And it seems we don't have a lot of magnolia experts, and I'm not one. But seeing a photo of the whole tree would be some help to others, and fruits and leaves. Magnolia liliiflora is one of the parents of M. x soulangeana, so it's probably not that easy to tell from just seeing a flower without seeing flowers in relation to the rest of the tree. Wikipedia calls M. liliiflora a shrub, occasionally a small tree to 4m. And the flowers are smaller and I remember petals being narrower, but your photos show one flower with narrow petals and one with more rounded petals, so never mind that. Do you know how old the tree is? Small but young won't say much, but small but old would.

4. i_am_jim

i_am_jim Active Member

I apologize. Everyone here has been so gracious to me I'm sorry if I offended.

It's not a tree. It's a spindly stemmed shrub. I believe it's about 2 years old grown from a small plant. This poorer image is the only one I have that shows a wider view of the plant.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  5. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

When you say spindly, I think Magnolia liliiflora.

6. i_am_jim

i_am_jim Active Member

Thanks for your reply

7. i_am_jim

i_am_jim Active Member

As there are no other replies, I'm going with Magnolia liliiflora