What kind of lily flowers are these??

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by cmgfour, Dec 24, 2017.

1. cmgfour

cmgfour Active Member

Need to ID these lilies to find out if they are the cause of illness in a cat. Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

Those are Alstroemeria. They aren't poisonous in small amounts, I understand. But best to keep the kittehs from chomping on them, just like tulips.

cmgfour likes this.
  3. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

True lilies are quite dangerous to cats if ingested. The pollen can be particularly dangerous as the cats may come into contact with it and ingest it when they clean themselves. This can happen even if the cats show no interest in chewing the flowers. I also think your bouquet contains Peruvian lilies - Alstroemeria.

cmgfour likes this.
  4. cmgfour

cmgfour Active Member

Thank you. Had to take the cat to the vet. Not doing good. Hopefully he did not eat too much.

5. cmgfour

cmgfour Active Member

Thank you. Still at the vet right now. I hope he improves.

6. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

Let us know what happens. Cats can ingest a lot of things that will make them sick, including household cleaners. Best wishes for the cat and for you. I'm grateful to emergency veterinary services for helping me over many a holiday weekend.

cmgfour likes this.
  7. cmgfour

cmgfour Active Member

Thank you to all. The cat is doing much better and is finally eating and drinking. Guess we are out of the woods for now.

wcutler likes this.
  8. thanrose

Good! You might be able to tell what he ingested by what he specifically avoids once at home. Like if he runs out of the room when you open laundry detergent, or maybe when you trim the stems of the alstroemeria. Then again, he's a cat.

cmgfour likes this.
  9. Keke

Keke Active Member 10 Years

So glad your kitteh is doing better. My two will eat just about anything, including rocks. It's been an expensive year and a half but catproofing is ongoing. The thing is, every time we get a new cat (seven over 40 years) it has a whole different idea about what catproofing is needed. The last one would eat flowers and knock over vases to get at them. This bunch couldn't care less about flowers in a vase but anything on the floor or counters is fair game. Sigh. Good luck!

cmgfour likes this.
  10. thanrose

I always had plants inside and sometimes cut flowers. I was somewhat selective, but most cats will go for the better alternative plant rather than the bitter alkaloid or anything with oxalic acid. I would move some plants to less attractive areas for them. It always depended on the individual cat. At one time I had three of my own and two fosters for a deployed soldier. Her deaf cat would respond to repeated tapping with foot or hand on the floor, and her oldest one was a refined old lady. My youngest was a once feral barn cat. I would actually have to throw something at her to get her to cease and possibly desist. My several dogs were obliging enough to attend to her if she would ignore me, but only on my command. The middle one only needed her name called sharply to say, "Uh-ow" ("sorry" in cat-speak), while the oldest would respond to her name said with a disappointed sigh. Anything sharper and she'd get offended. Every one of them would investigate new plants save the refined old lady.

They had wheat grass, barley, oat grass, alfalfa, lemon grass, parsley, and sometimes cat nip. I had a chunk of sod that moved outside to exchange with another piece that was always under the bird rescue cage. The cats would investigate there, too. I also let them bite vegetable scraps or parings destined for the compost if they indicated interest.

cmgfour likes this.