infection in caudex of ponytail palm

Discussion in 'Caudiciforms and Pachycaul Trees' started by Navneet Yadav, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Navneet Yadav

Navneet Yadav New Member

Hello,
    One day while sitting besides my ponytail palm I just noticed that the cracks of the " elephant skin" on that particular spot were darker than other places on the caudex. When I just poked a finger, it just went in and there was ash like black power coming out. I just kept peeling off the skin and it came out to look like a crater caused by a meteor .
    I live in Madhya Pradesh state of India, the climate here is very much like California ( except the draught) IMG_20171106_094518.jpg IMG_20171106_094533.jpg
    The question is, what is it ? Will it harm the tree furthermore? What's the cure ?
    Thanks

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Looks like a root rot, possibly caused by initial intrusion by other organisms (so a pathway opened up for the rot to enter). What little I've read of it online, it is likely fatal. Assuming that's what it is, the fungus will have grown into (currently) living tissues of the plant so a treatment of a fungicide will likely not work.

3. Navneet Yadav

Navneet Yadav New Member

So what should I do now ? This one looks the best amongst the two I own..