Epipactis helleborine

Discussion in 'Botany Photo of the Day Submissions' started by Kim Willis, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Kim Willis

Kim Willis New Member

Weed orchid- common name - said to be invasive, I think its unusual and interesting. This came up as a volunteer. Taken 7/14/2017 Tuscola County Michigan.

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Nice pic! The correct English name is Broad-leaved Helleborine; yep, an interesting plant, native where I am - one of several species, which can be tricky to distinguish. Here's Young's Helleborine Epipactis youngiana, a rare UK endemic relative (info [pdf file]):

Attached Files:

3. Kim Willis

Kim Willis New Member

Yes quite similar. They call the Epipactis helleborine weed orchid around here because I guess it becomes invasive in some spots. I'm familiar with a lot of wildflowers and never saw this before. The plant just appeared in one of my beds and I intend to leave it. It can't be more invasive than the lilies of the valley in there. I also understand the plant has opium like properties- which is fascinating- another name they give it is oxycontin plant.

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

That info file is wonderfully detailed yet easy to read. Thanks for including that. I think I should add the Plantlife site to our Plants ID resources page.

@Michael F, is there an area of the Plantlife site where one can reference other papers like this? I see I can browse species, and browse a list in the sitemap, and browse and query publications, and there are queries, but I'm not able to come up even with the file you referenced without your link or by backing up in the url. The url has the word "application". Is there an app?

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Ooof! I don't know! I found it when I did a google search with the scientific name. So I've not even tried looking through the Plantlife website.

6. Kim Willis

Kim Willis New Member

Interesting that the close relative of Epipactis helleborine is considered rare and endangered and yet everyone is demanding this "invasive " be removed. " One mans weed is another's flower"

7. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

Or more the other way, where a lovely native flower in the wrong place becomes a weed.

8. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Has spread across North America.