Identification: Tree Identification

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Olivia, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Olivia

Olivia New Member

Hello everyone!! I was needing a little help on identifying a tree that I came across today, I will add the pictures down below and if you could help me that would be great!! Thank you so much!!

Side note: I also live in Edmonton (Canada) if that would help you! As well as it had a strange spiky fruit growing on it and I couldn't decipher what it was!!

Attached Files:

2. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Except it isn't! The leaflets are too narrow, and are stalked, whereas Horse-chestnut leaflets are sessile; the fruit is tawny yellow, whereas Horse-chestnut fruit is green. I get it to key out to Ohio Buckeye Aesculus glabra.

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Huh, well, nothing like being wrong in order to prompt a correct answer! ;-)

5. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I wonder if the wikipedia entry is based on this tree :-))

I get the impression that quite a few Aesculus species are best adapted to cooler climates than the climates they're native to, with their large, heavy seeds that don't travel easily to catch up with postglacial warming.